Sky in bedroom off box downstairs

Anyone recommend any wiring diagrams or gadget that will allow us to watch Sky on a TV in the bedroom when the main box is downstairs in the Lounge. Being able to switch channels from upstairs would be an advantage as well. Could run coax/cat 5 between to 2 if it helps but is there a wireless soloution?

Many thanks

Reply to
SJP

simplest is to run a coax from the RF2 output of the skybox to the aerial input of the TV upstairs, then use a "Magic eye" and a Sky remote from there to control the STB. I think you have to enable the power supply on RF2 from somewhere in the menu e.g.

if you already have a spare remote

but is there a wireless soloution?

There are options, but quality will be lower and susceptible to e.g. WiFi interference, e.g.

Andy Burns

There are various digisenders about. Even Argos used to do them. Might still. Interference can be a problem. Microwaves are a major problem. We have 3 TVs with separate receivers from one transmitter in the lounge.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Go to Argos and get yourself a video sender. I got a phillips unit and it does exactly what u want. It's wireless to.

Regards

Micky Leeds

Reply to
Micky Savage

Thanks Andy I like this solution best :-)

Many thanks to those who answered

Reply to
SJP

>> Thanks Andy I like this solution best :-)

You can probably find the same/similar for less, but it was handy to post a Maplin URL quickly.

Reply to
Andy Burns

>>Thanks Andy I like this solution best :-)

I've got one of them but it wasn't anything like as expensive as that altho I had a spare Sky remote .I got the iLink thingy from the Global web site or you could try here

Ebay You need to enable the RF2 from the main box

fictitiousemail

Can remote tv viewing also be set up with a virgin digital tv box? I may well be wrong, but ISTR that the co-ax output doesnt include a modulated ntl signal, making the scart sockets the only available output. Are scart input senders available?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, but most only work with composite video. You really want a RGB wired scart cable. They can be quite long but getting the plugs through holes in the walls is a problem. A 4" core drill will do the job. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Are you suggesting I fit the plugs before running the cables?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Have you tried soldering a scart plug? You might get one that's crimped and be able to extract the pins.

If you have a Vbox you can use HDMI IIRC, that will runs for 10m with ease and the plugs are smaller. You can buy a cheap remote extender, but make sure it works with the V box as they use an odd control mode.

Reply to
dennis

I've soldered far denser things than that, I dont see that being a problem.. Last thing was a high density D connector.

10m isnt going to get far.

right, ta. I think the practical thing is a modulator rather than running scart around though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Eh, there's acres of space in a scart for soldering. It's starts to get tricky with multipin lemo's, say 6 pins in something 1/4" OD...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

rf does work through the coax but not if you switch the box to HD/HDMI output, same goes for scart these are switched off in HDMI output mode

Reply to
Kevin

But that is a high quality industrial product not some cheap bit of tat that melts before you switch the iron on.

So run it 30m then, just buy a better cable.

Or maybe something like

> You can buy a cheap remote extender, but make sure it works with the V >> box

Reply to
dennis

Try these sods. Especially when you are soldering them from the inside out, trying to keep all the leads the same length so they can be tightly wrapped up and then one of the centre connections breaks..

They do up to 128 pins, some places do over 200.

That's what you get for doing an MOD apprenticeship :-(

Reply to
PCPaul

thanks - I'll have to try it again then. Distribbing rf would be far easier than baseband.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

its not much of a challenge.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Spent many unhappy years in the RN as an electronics artificer dealing with those jobbies and the older types. Having a brain fart at present and can't remember the name of them, similar to those shown but in aluminium. Each connection had to be Hellerman sleeved as well. Very often when doing the high density ones the cable would gradually get shorter and shorter as the centres broke and all had to be re-done.

Reply to
Old Git