Sky Dish - Terrestrial and Digital Output

First of all, thanks to all respondents of "Sky Dish Adjustable LNB?"

I now have an operational dish, digibox etc! On the advice of Markus Splenius, I prioritised the signal quality (approx

85% on slider bar). Signal strength is around 45%, although it was possible to achieve better at the expense of quality. I have noticed that some pictures appear pin sharp, with others perhaps in consecutive adverts appearing less so. Is this to do with the quality/method of image during filming rather than picture quality loss due to poor reception?

A colleague of mine claims that he had his Sky box setup so that he could watch terestrial channels and record sky digital channels at the same time, both received via a dish and through his sky box. Is this do-able? At present I am using a separate aerial feed with inferior picture quality and no channel 5 to watch terrestrial whilst recording the scart output from the sky box.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It could be that, or it can be the transmission data rate for the channel, which sometimes are varied - probably not from advert to advert, though.

If you have poor reception or more importantly with errors (poor signal quality), then the sound will tend to cut in and out and the picture will tend to break into macroblocks - a chequerboard effect on the screen.

If you connect the UHF output of the Skybox or the SCART lead to your VCR, yes.

If you have a Sky+ box, then you have two tuners inside and you can record one channel received by satellite and watch another.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's not poor reception as it's a digital box. Poor digital reception looks totally different - you get mosaic like artefacts and sometimes the picture just stops.

Well you can plug the digibox into your video via the scart socket on the back of the video. The analog TV aerial also goes into the video. Then you can watch analog TV at the same time as recording sky digital. You can't watch two digital channels at the same time on a basic sky box.

M.

Reply to
Markus Splenius

You cannot watch 2 channel at the same time on any Sky Box. BigGuyUk

Reply to
BigGuyUK

IME (misaimed sky dish) it pretty much just stops. With DTTV, (freeview over TV aerial) you get the occasional glitch, with a block of odd colour or a click on sound, going up to these becoming more frequent - then the picture freezing occasionally, then the picture very occasionally showing a burst of corrupt picture sound.

With Sky, it's pretty much there and OK, or not there. There is very little 'in between'.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I think by basic, he meant a non Sky-Plus box. These do allow recording and viewing of different digital channels.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle