Skirting - never again

Don't tell porkies.

Besides which, buying a board and cutting it into strips is cheaper than buying ready made mdf skirting isn't it?

If he buys regular skirting and makes a cutting list and cuts the stuff to size -plus about 4" per length, he can end up with some pretty small off cuts. And they can be used to make wedges to replace the old ones. He already has the holes hacked out.

What you do is bang the wedges in then mark them with a straight edge. When you cut off the sticking out bits you have perfect grounds to sit the skirting on.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

There's a good reason it comes in packs ;)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Flat headed nails are cut 'clasp' nails used to fix wood to brick/blockwork. 'T' Headed nails without a straight top are cut floor brads, and unsurprisingly are generally used to nail down flooring.

David Hemmings

belt, but that's another story.)

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Bugger, i should check what i type during my wake up cup of coffee in the morning. Brain thinking one thing, fingers typing something completely different.

Should have read

'T' Headed nails without a straight top are cut 'clasp' nails used to fix wood to brick/blockwork. Flat headed nails are cut floor brads, and unsurprisingly are generally used to nail down flooring. But often floor brads are used in place of clasp nails.

Reply to
David Hemmings

Nope. 50% goes straight back with a demand for replacement. And it's nearer 66% in any case. Why whoever makes skirting thinks I am going to accept knots in the top bit, or even bark, is quite beyond me.

Reply to
G&M

Just based on my experience (on several occasions, before I gave up in disgust). What conceivable reason would I have for lying about such a thing? Regards, Steve

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I strongly suspect there a various grades and qualities available to all retailers when it comes to timber products. I have two suppliers equidistant from me for building grade timber. The price difference between them is minimal. One keeps (IME) firewood, splits, shakes, warps, large loose knots etc., while the other has nice clean timber.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Hi,

Twinthreads are cheap as chips these days so there's no need to use spindly ones which rust or break easily, instead of ones with a chunky thread.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In message , Mary Fisher writes

No, I still think the original owner did it, perhaps the giveaway is the Wickes stickers on the back of the Torus skirting, and the finishing matches the rest of his "decorating". No more skirting progress this weekend, had a short break and then painted ceiling/sorted curtain rail. Need to replace some sockets before the rest of the skirting can be fitted. Thanks for the comments.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Why should they need removing, at least in the next 50 years? Rusted screws normally shear off pretty easily, anyway.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

I've had to remove skirtings and floorboards many times. I'm always glad when the installer decided to use screws, as you can actually use the board again. Although I usually hate slotted screws as they are useless for power driving, they do seem to survive the decades (and overpainting) better.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You can anyway - if you are at least reasonably careful, the nail heads will pull right through the boards.

I only use cross-heades screws where they're going to be hidden, e.g. by filler. On show, I think they look awful. You can't use power screwdrivers for everything...

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

You know, I think that any screw or nail heads look awful on skirting boards. When I'm not studying the floor I spend most of my time lying down and watching skirting boards.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Use a plug cutter to make a concealing plug from the same hole?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Too much information, Mary!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I'm sure I've seen invisible so-called "magic" fixings for this kind of thing.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I was being ironic ... :-)

Spouse has been known to cover screw heads with beeswax - but only on places where it shows.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah! Someone understood :-)))