Skirting board - floor gap

Hi,

Im replacing some bedroom skirting board and wondered if I should raise it slightly from the floor leaving say a 10mm gap so that carpet can be tucked in (the original stuff was). Is this normal practice or should I just position the skirting so that its sits flush with the floor?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Are you fitting carpet?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's usual to have the skirting right to the floor. Fitted carpet edge is normally tucked down between the skirting and the gripper rod

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I always leave a gap under the skirting when fixing. Whatever flooring you place in, the gap will always be covered but will be handy if you ever need to lift a floorboard. The gap also helps with alignment on wonky floors. IMO.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

No, it's not.

You could usefully leave a small gap, 1/16 would be plenty.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

A proper job is to scribe and plane the skirting to fit the wonk floor

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Blow that for a laugh!

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

Well it all depends on whether you want to do a proper job or not, an that depends on how you've been taught

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

On or around Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:05:52 +0000, Nick H mused:

LOL! The real world is round here somewhere........

Reply to
Lurch