Skip with a weight problem ...

Neighbours directly opposite had the roof re tiled just before Christmas.

The scaffolding was dismantled and removed yesterday - remarkably quietly - and some old tiles stacked up beside the skip were removed at

7am today - rather noisily!

This left only the skip to go ...

The skip lorry turned up late morning and was positioned broadside on across the road. I wasn't taking much notice of what was going on but there were the usual hydraulic pump noises and the rattling of chains. Then I suddenly became aware that the lorry had grown in stature as the cab loomed up over our hedge, then settled back down again pretty quickly!

The driver got on his mobile phone while his mate unhitched the skip and they roared off into the distance ...

Tonight, the skip is still there ...

The skip isn't particularly big but it is obviously very heavy. Is this over tipping lorry a deliberate design feature intended to ensure that the lorry itself isn't overloaded? In any case, I assumed that it would be fitted with outriders at the rear to stabilise it during the loading exercise ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

I've had that a couple of times, they seem to get it at 3rd or 4th attempt, don't remember it having outriggers, at least you know you've got your money's worth :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Firstly the design of the truck suspension and chassis type determines what rear stabilisers should be fitted and where. Secondly there may have been hydraulic stiffeners fitted to the chassis to assist the existing suspension when lifting the load.

From previous experience of these vehicles (I service them and other roadside lifting/crane type vehicles) the operators are 1) Too effin lazy to deploy the stabilisers as it slows the lift speed and therefore how fast they can get the job done to get to the cafe. and 2) The load within the skip should be "assessed" before the lift and the stabilisers deployed to spread the load, stabilise the vehicle and produce a safe lift using pads under the stabilisers to reduce damage and spread the load. Also fitted should normally be a hydraulic overload which restricts the maximum lift capacity to bypass back to tank to prevent overload. Probably tampered with to lift heavier loads !

None of these would seem to have been done, hence the vehicle raising so the operator probably will return with a larger lorry to lift the load.

I suspect there will be damage to whatever the stabilisers are lowered on to also. Shame you didn't get pictures of the unstable vehicle and pass them to the local authority who license the cowboys in this game and have them fined for unsafe practice.

Reply to
RCW

All the skip lorries I've had, had rear outriders. When I warned the bloke I had one particularly heavy load, he deployed the outriders - took him all of an extra couple of minutes to stick 2 lumps of wood down, extend then drop the legs.

When I haven't told him it's heavy, he usually didn't bother and chanced it. One one occasion the cab did start lifting a bit.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't see how it could have rear stabilisers, as from your description, there would not be room in between the truck and the skip. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There's a fair bit of distance between the bottom of the skip (which is sloped) and the rear of the truck and the outriders are low.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well in that case it indeed sounds like ineptitude or laziness. Most crane operators carry load spreading lumps of thick wood to use under outriggers, I always assumed skip truckers had these too. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A bit like top posters too ;)

Steve

Reply to
stephen.hull

A bit like those that cannot read Brians sig.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I was going to mention that once, but IIRC, recently, Brian said he was blind, so I assume whatever reading assistance tech he uses becomes more painful to bottom post?

Or am I going mad (probably!)

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK, not mad :)

Well, not much. Excuse me, I have some, er, patio work that needs doing...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I didn't notice his sig, I only read the top of his posting. My news client gets disorientated and the colour coordination goes to pot when people top post as is leaves everything out of sync,

But never mind I'll live with it.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull