Skip Hire 8 cubic Yard - Whats the going rate?

I am looking to hire an 8 cubic Yard skip to take the remains of a concrete garden path (concrete, stones, pieces of brick)

Does anyone know of an economically priced skip hire service covering the Purley / Croydon area (Surrey)

Got a few quotes already ranging from

£241 +VAT = £283 £222 including VAT £215 if I can load the skip while the driver waits £175 + VAT = £205 + £30 if a local authority license is required.

I've never hired a skip before, do these prices seem about right or can anyone recommend a better deal?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

cripes they've gone up. Was in the low one hundreds last time I looked..

Lots of people would LOVE to take your nice hardcore for free..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's just hardcore and soil (no wood, plastic etc) look in your local directory for 'grab services', they work out at about half the price of a skip, all you have to do is get the stuff within grabbing distance, and you don't have to load a skip. Just tell the bloke you've got about 8 yards need picking up and he'll give you a price

Reply to
Phil L

garden path (concrete, stones, pieces of brick)

Purley / Croydon area (Surrey)

anyone recommend a better deal?

It would be nice to find them... Are you serious? I just rang three local builders - no interest. I'll try a few more.

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

In message , Alt Beer writes

If it's just aggregates (concrete, brick etc) ring round your local aggregate yards - some will allow you to tip this for free. Hire a Transit tipper/pickup for half a day (£50) and voila.

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody

ib9$o3k$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

crete garden path (concrete, stones, pieces of brick)

the Purley / Croydon area (Surrey)

n anyone recommend a better deal?

ocal builders - no interest. =A0I'll try a few more.

Freecycle. No sense paying.

NT

Reply to
NT

vaib9$o3k$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

oncrete garden path (concrete, stones, pieces of brick)

g the Purley / Croydon area (Surrey)

can anyone recommend a better deal?

local builders - no interest. =A0I'll try a few more.

+1 I regularly see these kind of posts on freecycle, shortly followed by the taken post!
Reply to
marpate1

I've got an 8 yard skip at the moment. ( Miles Skiphire, Norwich) It will cost £140. I'm just taking a break from loading it. I'm in Norfolk but don't understand why your quote is double, landfill tax must be the same.

mark

Reply to
mark

Agree with other comments. The skip will be priced to you as the contents going in landfill. I reality when it arrives at the skip yard it will be spread out and the contents sorted through. If its all brick etc they'll run it through a crusher and sell it for hardcore at something like =A345+vat per ton. So its a win win for the skip company at the prices they quoted you. If you tell them its all brick they may give you something off the skip price but I doubt they'll be as generous as you may think.

You can check your local tip (sorry, recycling centre). Most that I have been to have a strict 2 bag quantity per week of rubble, although as they get money for selling it on you have to wonder why they impose a limit. They certainly don't have a limit for metals, especially items that have copper/brass in them.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

messagenews:hvaib9$o3k$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

concrete garden path (concrete, stones, pieces of brick)

the Purley / Croydon area (Surrey)

anyone recommend a better deal?

builders - no interest. I'll try a few more.

Thanks NT and marpate1 ... Sounds good - I'll give it a go.

Reply to
Alt Beer

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:55:25 +0100, "mark" wibbled:

This time last year, the prices in East Sussex were:

Yd Pounds (inc VAT)

General mixed crap

4 161 6 195 8 253

Hardcore

4 130 6 160

Someone else round here did hardcore at 120 quid for 6 yds.

I like the grab-lorry idea - apart from a small load of plasterboard and glass wool (could use car if desperate - or buy a cheap 4' trailer) most of my expected waste in the next 2 years will be concrete.

In fact at those stupid prices I'm very tempted to collect it in a huge pile on the dive and hire a crusher for a 100 quid, mostly because I will need a similar volume of fine hardcore (huge lumps are no good) - so I will be somewhat better off in the long run...

Reply to
Tim Watts

a concrete garden path (concrete, stones, pieces of brick)

covering the Purley / Croydon area (Surrey)

or can anyone recommend a better deal?

three local builders - no interest. I'll try a few more.

If you bring it to me in East Sussex I'll even give you a cup of tea!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

te garden path (concrete, stones, pieces of brick)

Purley / Croydon area (Surrey)

nyone recommend a better deal?

Best price in Coventry is 110 quid from budget skips. Of course you've got the ludicrous London bump-up. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

concrete garden path (concrete, stones, pieces of brick)

covering the Purley / Croydon area (Surrey)

can anyone recommend a better deal?

Best price in Coventry is 110 quid from budget skips. Of course you've got the ludicrous London bump-up. Simon.

It's not just London with inflated prices. I keep an 8 yard skip in the farm yard for all the plastic sacks and tat that accumulates. Latest one was £210 here in remote East Sussex. They keep ringing up asking for them back but we tend to keep them at least 4 sometimes 6 months.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

garden path (concrete, stones, pieces of brick)

If you do use a skip you'd better ask the supplier before you fill an

8 cubic yard skip with concrete. The truck may not be able to pick it up.
Reply to
Matty F

It's fun watching them struggle, especially if they don't drop the support legs for the first attempt, but they always seem to lift it in the end ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just had 2 of them .... £115 plus VAT for hardcore

price goes up if it contains plastic or contaminated materials.

£241 seems very high.
Reply to
Rick Hughes

Is that Oop North? In Hackney there's a £35 per skip fee to the council if it goes on the road and I've recently been quoted £225 (including the licence) for 8 cu yds of soil with the skip left for one week.

Reply to
Robin