Skip Companies, Ahhhhhh!

This has probably been discussed before, I just need to get it off my chest! Are all of them totally useless, or have I just been unlucky; with the past

3 in a row?

Martin Rant, Rave, Babble!

PS If anyone wants a skip, I have one. You empty it, it's yours. Might need a bit of a re-spray though!

Reply to
Martin

TUT! Go on then what happened?

Reply to
Ned

Well the current one is still there after two phone calls and two promises to remove it. The previous one took 3 phone calls over a week to get it removed. The one before that they removed promptly, but then delivered another empty the next day, then got very aggressive when I refused to pay for a skip I hadn't requested.

I could understand it if I was paying below the going rate, but I'm not. These are supposed to be reputable companies giving a "professional" service!

Reply to
Martin

I have a friend who lives in Hackney and drove a Porsche which he has to keep in his garage due to the area. He needed a skip for a day which had to go in his driveway, so he parked the porsche in the road for the day. Anyway, same story, skip company took two days to come and pick it up, and he was furious. When they backed their lorry into his driveway, he blocked it in with his car, saying he would only remove it when they refunded the skip charge. The driver was on the phone to his boss, who obviously told him not to refund anything, and he could hear half a conversation which revealed the lorry had a load more trips to do that day and he was to get it out come what may. The standoff continued for half an hour or so, at which point my friend started to get worried they might just drive into the porsche and shut it out of the way, although the road was so narrow, the lorry would probably still not get out. Either the skip driver or my friend (can't recall) called the Police who turned up but said there was nothing they could do as it was on private land. My friend did however point out to them that the skip lorry's tax disk had long since expired, but again, nothing they could so as it was on private land. Police advised the skip driver not to drive the lorry out onto the road, and they then drove off. The standoff continued perhaps another 1/2 hour, at which point the boss told the driver to refund the charge, which he did. Friend moved his car out of the way, and the lorry drove the skip off up the road. As it got to the crossroads 100 yards up the road, the Police car came out from the side road, stopped it, and booked the driver. That really made my friend's day!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Fraid not, the buggers currently blocking me drive. Having to park the car in a lay-by down the road, and hope the local scum-bags don't decide to autograph it (again!), not to mention carrying stuff in and out in this heat......

Last night there were two packs of youths having a shouting match down the road, I was just waiting for one of them to catch sight of the nice skip full of brick rubble.

I don't remember acting like that when I was that age, but then I can't remember being that age! I wonder if policemen ever walk think to themselves "aren't the public looking older these days?"

Martin. (too hot to work, too old to care!)

day time of course) and report to a)

and the skip is in a dangerous

Reply to
Martin

LOL!

I needed a skip the other day but sussed how cheap Stelios's easycar have become. They rent out a Renault Kangoo for as little as £10 a day (all inc). I just put down all the seats, filled it up with an old bathtub, loads of rubble, old bathroom fixtures, timber, etc and drove it all to the local dump myself. You're meant to bring it back clean, but they never check. Seemed a lot cheaper and hassle-free than dealing with cowboy skip companies...

Reply to
Benski

Martin,

What have you paid for these skips & what sizes are they? I ask because the next door neighbour and I were idly wondering about skip costs over the garden fence this afternoon with regard to the large amount of rubbish we have between us and the hassle of taking it down to the tip.

TIA

W.

Reply to
Woodspoiler

Last one I had was an 8 yard for £120.00 (Rotherham). Well it was a bit less but that's all I had moneywise when the driver turned up ;-)

Turned the skip round in the road as it was the wrong way on the lorry, turned round in the road (narrow) and put it the way I asked onto the drive (drop ended one). Came to collect it the day after I rang them and my fence/gates were in one piece when I came home.

Chat friendly to the driver, couple of quid for a pint works wonders.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark