Skimming question

The last time I skimmed a joint in plasterboard I used a product which I cant remember the name of but it was sold as an easier to use subsitute for normal skimming plaster, although proper plasterers didnt think so, it dried white and came I think in a 5 or 10 kilo bag (powder)It sanded very easily and gave me a good finish.

Any guesses as to what it was.

Reply to
ss

Dunno, but Wickes do a ready-mixed jointing compound which sands well

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ok I will have a look at them.

Thanks

Reply to
ss

Depends how big an area you're doing, for taper joints it's fine, but if skimming several whole boards it would get expensive.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just filling in some 5 inch holes which were previously halogen fittings, I have fixed a batton and then a piece of plasterboard to roughly fill the space. So now just levelling off with the filler.

Reply to
ss

I've done similar jobs with ordinary filler.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Wickes fine surface filler can be applied like normal gypsum plaster, but unlike gypsum plaster you can scrape (*) and sand it to get a flat finish.

(*) When set but, before dry use the long edge of a steel ruler at about 30 degrees to remove excess, then when dry use a sanding block.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks for the tips.

Reply to
ss

That's roughly what I just did. Do the scraping accurately enough, fill fine surface imperfections and the sanding required dwindles to near zero.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The "polyfilla" type products can also be polished just like plaster. Saves any messy sanding down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice