skimming over old walls

was watching that DIY program on channel 5 with those 2 scottish blokes on friday

the plasterer seemed to plaster over:

1 embossed wall paper on a ceiling 2 wall paper on a large wall

is this okay to do?

i have a really bad lathe and plaster ceiling with lots of cracks and wallpaper, i was gonna tidy it with some filler and a few layers of paint, but i would rather get a plasterer in to give it a better finish, but i dont want to rip the whole ceiling down and plaster board

Reply to
bill

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:20:30 +0000 (UTC), "bill" strung together this:

No, it's called rough. The two fairies have no idea what's going on, if you need a wall or ceiling reskimming then wallpaper and loose plaster\paint etc... needs to come off otherwise the whole lot just falls off\cracks over time.

They just did it fo immediate effect, it's probably all in a heap on the floor now.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , bill writes

No, it's a total bodge, s the plaster is relying ion the paper/wall bond.

You don't need to rip the ceiling down. Skimming over an old surface is fine as long as it's sound. But paper etc. needs removing first. you can skim over the old ceiling, but you risk cracks returning, and depending on the smoothness of the ceiling the end result may or may not be as smooth as you'd like.

We've redone our ceiling here, so as above, most we overboarded first and then reskimmed. Didn't take down old L&P, just fixed plasterboard over the existing ceiling, then reskimmed over that

Reply to
chris French

If the original paper is really well stuck it might work. When I've redecorated in the past, using the steam stripper to remove wallpaper, I've several times (to my cost) found this had been done, because the steam pulled off the wallpaper, the underlying skim plaster, and the wallpaper underlying that...

The (very likely) risk is that when the plasterer does his work, the water in the plaster soaks into the wallpaper and brings it off the wall; whereupon, especially on the ceiling, the whole lot falls off under its own weight. Most plasterers will refuse to plaster over wallpaper for that reason - whatever agreement they may make with the customer about the risk of it going pear-shaped, they don't need the inevitable hassle they will still get when it does fall off.

Removal of the wallpaper with a steam stripper, followed by 1:4 PVA solution prior to skimming, is a much better plan!

David

Reply to
Lobster