skimming kerosene off water in an open tank....

....to filter into jerrycans for vehicular use.

Q how do you tell when the kerosene stops and the water starts?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

If left to settle the two will separate out. Tranfer to translucent contain ers and the levels will be obvious. If there us a large quantity of kersone or water then the initial separation will be easy. I cant remember which f loats but siphoning off the underlying substance is easy When you get down to the last of it its not worth the hassle imho.

Personally I wouldn't put it in an engine,

Reply to
fred

iners and the levels will be obvious. If there us a large quantity of kerso ne or water then the initial separation will be easy. I cant remember which floats but siphoning off the underlying substance is easy When you get do wn to the last of it its not worth the hassle imho.

Kerosene floats.

Why wouldn't you put it in an engine?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

What volume are you talking about?

Reply to
Richard

20-40 litres of kero I'd guess

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I guess you are not in the UK? We don't call it kerosene and the operation you describe is probably illegal, as well as quite dangerous.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

care to elaborate?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I'd syphon, drain, or pump the water from the bottom into (say) a bucket and keep discarding it until kerosene starts to come over (it should be fairly obvious). Then decant as much "good" kerosene from the top as possible (depends a bit on the tank geometry). One possible way to "dry" the remaining mixture without too much water in it would be to add something hygroscopic such as quicklime or plaster. Give it a good shake or stir to mix, then let it settle. Then filter.

Reply to
newshound

In the UK you aren't allowed to store any significant amount of motor fuel at home. 2 off 5litre plastic containers or 1 off 15litre metal, I think.

Reply to
charles

a) where do you "think" that might be enshrined?

b) who says it is motor fuel? is a 2500litre heating oil tank illegal then?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Could one not somehow boil it off. I imagine doing that might be a bit smelly though!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you're in the UK, then under an Act Of Parliament - google for it and ye shall find. Or simply contact the local fire brigade or council.

If you don't comply with the legislation for its installation in the UK (such as coffer dams to prevent spillages into the environment etc - then yes!

Also, you cannot legally use kerosene (paraffin) in motor vehicles for road use in the UK - and if you use it to produce a form of "bio-deisel" then fuel duty has to be paid (subject to certain exemptions in quantities for private use). Again, google for it and ye shall find. Or contact VOSA and/or HMRC.

Reply to
Unbeliever

eh? explain? Central heating oil tanks do not need "coffer dams"! they don't necessarily need to be bunded - ALL WITHIN THE REGS!

Whoever mentioned "road use"?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

In message , Geoff Pearson writes

Nothing illegal Geoff unless he plans to sell it. I'd guess a tall/narrow see through container might be best.

One problem you can get from moisture in engine fuel is if there is a nylon gauze filter in the pump sight glass. The water can swell the nylon and plug the filter. Also not good in paper fuel filters.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's petrol. I don't believe there are any specific legal limits to storing diesel oil (and I'd expect kerosene to fall under the same category).

See for example:

"There are no specific legal requirements on how to store diesel or the quantity allowed either in workplaces or domestic premises. It is not, from a health and safety point of view, a particularly hazardous substance within the meaning of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 - its vapour flash point is too high. This means that its vapour will not ignite at normal room temperatures."

Whereas for petrol:

"The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 PDF link to external website and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 link to external website limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garageor within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres and two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.

Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA."

Reply to
Piers

thanks for the clarification.

In any case my garage is >6m away from house. & it's not petrol (but we knew that) :>)

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Because the kerosene you have rescued will be saturated with water to the limit of their miscibility. In aviation this sort of mistake has brought aircraft down after ice crystals clogged the fuel filters.

How did you end up with bulk kerosene in your water tank?

Or are you doing inept IRA style red diesel conversion to road fuel?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well if you know all that, why not enlighten the group on the regulations then?

Well as your information is rather vague, I simply assumed that's what you wanted the rubbish for - or are you simply too tight-fisted to fork out for new paraffin for whatever you want it for?

If you want more precise answers, then giving precise information may well elicit them.

Ah! I see that you are posting via the plusnet ISP, so the odds are that you are within the UK - and as such, you'll know what the laws are - so feeling a little bored are you, and thought that you'd make the odd vexatious post or three just as a wind up?

Tut, tut! *eg*

Reply to
Unbeliever

SIMPLY because it's irrelevant to the question

or loathe to throw it away....

nosy git! see the OP. I don't see what info is missing?

my my what powers of assumption you have! & may I say coming from you that's just not cricket old boy!

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

because it is also hygroscopic and you end up with a lot of blue smoke and a filter full of water and a rough engine that may not run very well.

I'd always use it at leasts diluted 3:1 with fresh proper diesel or kerosene.

preferably 10:1

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher