siting an extractor fan

Hello,

My bathroom does not have an extractor fan, so I would like to fit one to extract steam and prevent condensation, etc.

Are there any restrictions on where to place it? Does it have to be three bricks in from the corner or two courses down from the top of the wall for example, or can it go anywhere? (It will be a standard 4 inch bathroom fan, which I would plan to core drill through the brick wall).

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Electrical zones apply if mains. Generally the nearer the toilet bowl the better

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ideally in a place so the the air drawn in from the bathroom door (which is where the replacement air comes in from) will replace all the air ie the furthest point possible from the door and as high up as possible.

Reply to
ARW

Have you considered an in-line fan fitted in the loft space vented through the eaves or a roof tile vent? I've fitted one before and found it much better than the wall mounted fan it replaced. It clears the steam very quickly and is extremely quiet. Plus all you can see from the bathroom is a small air valve.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Be cautious if the proposed outlet faces into the prevailing wind. If so it can burn out quite quickly unless shielded.

Reply to
fred

My through-the-wall fan is on the SW wall so I used one of these beasties:

Perhaps a bit big and obvious for some places but in this case it's on the side of the house and ~25m from the road.

Reply to
PeterC

I put one of those over the exit grille from my kitchen extractor. It is on a west facing gable end, and has helped a lot to keep out the prevailing winds.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

BTW, there's still some rattling of the antibackdraught shutter even with the cover. I'm wondering if a length of brush-type door seal would kill the turbulence. Some time, when ICBA to get the ladder round there, I'll try it. That's where the stainless PK screws come in handy.

Reply to
PeterC

I'm an extractor fan!

I used to love looking at them, particularly the great big 4X4 models. Now that I'm mostly sited indoors the fascination has worn off.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I did try an extractor fan but the neighbours complained about the diesel engine in the loft.

Reply to
PeterC

Already looking at vent axia!

Reply to