sipgate - anyone use it? Getting a lot of Network Busy errors

Seems to be very unreliable of late - using both a Siemens Gigaset N300 and Zoiper on Android.

Dialling certain numbers fails with "Network Busy" and others on the same exchange code dial just fine... I've noticed it on and off for some time - but as the target number is the New Spice curry place, I've just got proper annoyed.

Call quality seems highly variable too...

Tempted to move to Andrews and Arnold VOIP unless anyone has a better suggestion?

VOIPs only any good if it is actually reliable...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On 01 Jan 2015, Tim Watts grunted:

I use it quite a lot, and can't say I've noticed any problems

Reply to
Lobster

Curious...

Reply to
Tim Watts

As you probebly know, most of the talk about Sipgate recently had been about administrative issues rather than technical ones.

My Raspberry Pi Asterisk box does have several Sipgate trunks, but I only use them for incoming calls. The only exception is outgoing 0800

0808 & 0500 outgoing calls. I can't say I have noticed any failures, but I don't think I have called many freephone numbers lately.

Is this for buisness use? I would not consider using A&A unless the service was mission critical, far too expensive.

In fact the Sipgate tarrif is serious money compared with the Betamax/ Dallmont Sarl clones that I have been using for all my chargable calls for about 8 years.

Reply to
Graham.

No - it's home.

It's weird - SWMBO is well pleased wrt to her longs calls to China - but it's some UK numbers that just refuse to dial - and the call quality is good on the Gigaset phone but varies between OK and bloody awful on android.

The main drive (apart from cheap calls to China) was having a portable home number that would ring everyone's phone, no matter where.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Works for me at the moment.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That would point the finger at android or the connection the android devices are using. Is that connection your WiFi or a normal "it might work if you are lucky" mobile data connection.

I can't say I've noticed any problems with Sipgate but then we are not great users of the phone in or out. SWMBO'd was complaining about dropped calls and/or one sided calls about a month ago. But the batteries in her Gigaset handset were not very good and where she normally uses the phone is diagonally through a 3' thick stone wall...

So trying to run a real time system over an iffy mobile data connection. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had a sipgate phone which I installed when I started working from home. With a BT (!) 2Wire router it was pants, until I read a support article suggesting punching a few holes in my firewall, after which it started working perfectly.

sadly I now have a BT3 router, and it all works fine. I suspect the uPNP on the 2Wire was flaky.

Reply to
Jethro_uk