Sink Waste Problem

Hello All

just purchased a new sink one of those glass bowl on a wall bracket type, with a what they call a minimalist trap. Now my waste pipe to the old sink was 43mm and the new pipe I'm going to need is going to be a lot smaller as it needs to be able to fit inside the trap arm in order to hide the pipe. How can I convert the 43mm pipe to be the correct diameter, is there some kind of reducer I can buy?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Ah, now, there's another item on my list of 'must-have' fixtures and fittings of today which I predict we will all be ripping out in 15 years' time, like we did with hardboard panels on the back of old moulded doors, avocado bathroom suites and artex...

So far the 2005 list runs to:

Timber decking Recessed halogen downlighters Laminate flooring 'Glass bowl' sinks

I'm sure I had more than that: any more for any more?!

[no offence intended to the OP! (I've fitted plenty of downlighters myself) And sorry I don't know the answer to the question]
Reply to
Lobster

I think that in 15 years, LEDs will finally have got there in terms of efficiency, colour rendition. Though they will still be rather expensive. Currently, the bleeding edge in white LEDs is about 60lm/W at 5$/W (in bulk). That's better than some bad fluorescant tubes in terms of efficiency. When the efficiency rises that little bit to maybe 80lm/W, and the price falls to maybe $2/W, you're looking at a light fitting costing maybe 20-30 quid, and being as bright as a 50W halogen, while using 1/5 the power, and lasting essentially forever.

And why would anyone rip decking out? In 15 years it'll just have rotted down into a nice mulch :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Just walk around B&Q and check out their "special offers" - they'll all be there:

Trendy patio furniture Patio heaters Build your own fire places etc etc

Shows how sad I am to have noticed these

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The 43 mm pipe is classed as 40 mm internal diameter, so all you need is a

40 to 32 reducer. The wash basin doesn't have to have the trap directly below it though, and the trap can be placed somewhere hidden along the pipe run, just so long as a trap is fitted to stop the smells getting back into the house it's fine.

These types of basin are best fitted with plain waste pipe runs to them, and have an inline (running) trap further down the pipework so they aren't visible and spoil the look of the new basin. So is it possible for you to install a running trap on to a horizontal section of the 40 mm pipe and run the reducer and the narrower 32 mm pipe from there to the basin?

Reply to
BigWallop

I wanted to do something similar (with my regular basin) to position the trap away from the awkward space under the basin. But I couldn't find anything (from a quick browse in the BES catalogue) that would allow me to attach a run of solvent weld pipe directly to the 1 1/4" thread of the waste (apart from a regular trap).

Vaci

Reply to
Vaci

You can actually stick the pipe directly in the waste outlet stock and tighten a normal compression nut on to it. Along with the normal compression ring and anti-stick ring of course.

Our basin is installed like that, with the running trap under the bath, behind the end panel. It hid the pipework behind the pedestal on our basin because the wall is tiled all the way down and a pipe would have looked horrid.

Reply to
BigWallop