sink waste pipe

All, I am about to plumb-in a new bathroom sink, and was wondering how I should do the waste pipe. Should this have a u-bend in the same way as the kitchen sink, or just a straight connection (well, with the odd bend to allow it to connect to the waste stack - prob just 2 90 degree angles )??

As always, any advice happily received.

Reply to
Neil Catley

You should always have a waste trap (various kinds, doesn't have to be a U bend) to prevent foul odours creeping out of the plug hole.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

It'll need a trap of some sort, for the same reason as you have them everywhere else, you don't want the smells from the sewers coming up the plughole. The trap is normally fitted almost directly on to the washbasin.

Does everyone call them sinks nowadays? To my mind a sink is in the kitchen (or utility room, or outside) and the thing in the bathroom is a washbasin.

Reply to
usenet

One of U - bend, bottle trap or hepworth valve is always required. Otherwise you will get nasty niffs coming from the drains through your basin's plughole. If there is a danger that toilet flushing or bath draining will suck water out of the basin's trap then fit anti-syphon version of the bottle trap or a Hepworth valve.

Reply to
BillR

something like this ??

normally call it a washbasin too - only realised what I typed when I hit send !!

Reply to
Neil Catley

There is no such thing as a bathroom sink. Kitchens have sinks, bathrooms have basins.

OK.

Yes, you shoud definitely fit some sort of trap. Various "U" arrangements are available, compact (moulded in one with an inlet/exit/inspection cap), but it sounds to me as if you want a bottle trap, which can fit straight onto the basin waste grille fitting, and does a 90 degree turn too. You can even get a chrome one! These fittings are very neat and unobtrusive. The bottom unscrews (like an upside- down bottle lid) for inspection/cleaning.

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

So we must have a small Belfast Basin in our bathroom then. Must remember that. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

OK :)

Sounds like a good plan - B&Q sell all sorts of these so I'll have a scout around in there over the weekend. Thanks.

Reply to
Neil Catley

I bet it freezes your bum on cold mornings!

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

LOL !

But it flushes well. :-)) Apart from paper sometimes sticking in the grating, but that's easily removed with a dry finger. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

You've been on this newsgroup too long. You start calling 13A plugs "plugtops" soon. In the real world, everyone calls them sinks (unless there is some sort of regional variation).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Which Tyler: leader of the pedants' revolt.

Reply to
John Stumbles

But I never call a 13A plug a "sink" ;)

Mind you, what those northerners call them is another matter..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Reply to
Neil Catley

That's infinitely better than calling socket outlets 'plug sockets'.

[return to original subject]

Disagree. I can't recall ever hearing anyone call a wash basin a sink other than on this newsgroup. Just 'basin' is the usual usage (IME, IMHO, YMMV).

Not that I've ever met. Where do you live? FWIW I've lived in Birmingham, North Wales, Surrey and, for the last 25 years, Cambridge.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Reading. I grew up in the rougher parts, where saying "washbasin" would likely get you a adjustable spanner in the face from the plumber for being a poncy git.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Reading has some non-rough parts? Interesting..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

You must have some form of u-bend that retains water to stop smells from the waste stack. But how did you think you were going to fit the pipe to the waste without one? I don't think I've ever seen a straight threaded coupling that would allow this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Collins defines a sink as a fixed basin with a water supply and drainage pipe. And a basin as a sink for washing hands and face. ;-)

How the word is used is a regional thing - a bit like dinner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Never mind. At least things can only get better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman