sink waste pipe

Page 1 of 2
All, I am about to plumb-in a new bathroom sink, and was wondering how I should do the waste pipe. Should this have a u-bend in the same way as the kitchen sink, or just a straight connection (well, with the odd bend to allow it to connect to the waste stack - prob just 2 90 degree angles )??
As always, any advice happily received.

You should always have a waste trap (various kinds, doesn't have to be a U bend) to prevent foul odours creeping out of the plug hole.

It'll need a trap of some sort, for the same reason as you have them everywhere else, you don't want the smells from the sewers coming up the plughole. The trap is normally fitted almost directly on to the washbasin.
Does everyone call them sinks nowadays? To my mind a sink is in the kitchen (or utility room, or outside) and the thing in the bathroom is a washbasin.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

something like this ?? http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts )961&id709 I normally call it a washbasin too - only realised what I typed when I hit send !!

yup, but 32mm for basins (_not_ sinks </pedantic> :-)
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ Which Tyler: leader of the pedants' revolt.
--------------CD446F191E30EC536A143BD9 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
John Stumbles wrote:

--------------CD446F191E30EC536A143BD9--

You've been on this newsgroup too long. You start calling 13A plugs "plugtops" soon. In the real world, everyone calls them sinks (unless there is some sort of regional variation).
Christian.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:47:23 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

But I never call a 13A plug a "sink" ;)
Mind you, what those northerners call them is another matter..... ;)
PoP
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message

That's infinitely better than calling socket outlets 'plug sockets'.
[return to original subject]

Disagree. I can't recall ever hearing anyone call a wash basin a sink other than on this newsgroup. Just 'basin' is the usual usage (IME, IMHO, YMMV).

Not that I've ever met. Where do you live? FWIW I've lived in Birmingham, North Wales, Surrey and, for the last 25 years, Cambridge.
--
Andy

Reading. I grew up in the rougher parts, where saying "washbasin" would likely get you a adjustable spanner in the face from the plumber for being a poncy git.
Christian.
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:16:05 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

Reading has some non-rough parts? Interesting..... ;)
PoP

Never mind. At least things can only get better.
--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Neil Catley wrote:

One of U - bend, bottle trap or hepworth valve is always required. Otherwise you will get nasty niffs coming from the drains through your basin's plughole. If there is a danger that toilet flushing or bath draining will suck water out of the basin's trap then fit anti-syphon version of the bottle trap or a Hepworth valve.
Neil Catley wrote:

There is no such thing as a bathroom sink. Kitchens have sinks, bathrooms have basins.
OK.
Yes, you shoud definitely fit some sort of trap. Various "U" arrangements are available, compact (moulded in one with an inlet/exit/inspection cap), but it sounds to me as if you want a bottle trap, which can fit straight onto the basin waste grille fitting, and does a 90 degree turn too. You can even get a chrome one! These fittings are very neat and unobtrusive. The bottom unscrews (like an upside- down bottle lid) for inspection/cleaning.
be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

jerrybuilt wrote:

OK :)

Sounds like a good plan - B&Q sell all sorts of these so I'll have a scout around in there over the weekend. Thanks.

Collins defines a sink as a fixed basin with a water supply and drainage pipe. And a basin as a sink for washing hands and face. ;-)
How the word is used is a regional thing - a bit like dinner.
--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

BigWallop wrote:

I bet it freezes your bum on cold mornings!
be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

LOL !
But it flushes well. :-)) Apart from paper sometimes sticking in the grating, but that's easily removed with a dry finger. :-))

You must have some form of u-bend that retains water to stop smells from the waste stack. But how did you think you were going to fit the pipe to the waste without one? I don't think I've ever seen a straight threaded coupling that would allow this.
--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *