Sink tap - hose conversion

Tring to fins a bit of a solution to be able to run a garden hose outside of my flat so I can wash my car but I don't have any garden hose type taps and was wondering how to heck I can do it ?

I've been carrying bucket and buckets of water (cleaning my car properly :) ) and thought this is a pain in the bum. The less time I spend ferrying water is the more time I can spend waxing!!

I'm half competant with things DIY so open to suggestions.

I was wondering under my kitchen sing there is a attachment for putting a washing maching to it can a garden hose adapter connect up to that ? (or is that a bizarlly stupid idea)

Any advice on how I can do this is most welcomed. I might even wash and wax your car :)

Reply to
Stablized

What you could do is get a washing machine hose and connect it to the washing machine tap then cut the connector off the other end and find a way of connecting the hose to your garden hose ....a short piece of copper pipe and two hose clips would do .

Do you know that Hozelock make hose connectors to fit kitchen sink taps . The one I have fits on top and below the end of the tap and the top part screws down on to the tap . ...I think there are different varieties depending on what sort of tap yu have .Check here to see if there is something suitable to fit your tap..Mine is No 2274

Stuart B

In the days before Hozelock-type fittings you could get a push-on rubber thingy for a normal kitchen tap. However, if you have any real water pressure, and a flow-control on your car-wash brush, a fitting like that will undoubtedly come adrift.

Some washing-machine taps are fitted by clamping around the pipe and piercing it. That sort wouldn't really give you a decent flow for a hose. If it's a proper full-bore washing machine tap there's no problem, apart from having to swap hoses with the washer.

Your best bet would be to fit a tee-piece under the sink and add a bib-c*ck - in fact if you use a hose the water regulations say that you must have a double-check valve so that water can't get back into the mains from the end of a hose lying in dirty water.

I should imagine you could do the job for less than ten quid with a tee-piece, a short bit of pipe and a garden-hose tap with check valve...

Is that a promise?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What about this kit

has everything you should need to get started and hosing.?

Reply to
Edward

the washing machine hose, then 2175 will screw on in it's place, giving you a hozelock connetion.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Looks like a push-on tap connector and we do not know what sort of kitchen tap the OP has .

Reply to
Stuart B

Good point, bit late I posted that.

From the look of that argos link they give you item 2175 from

and for a few extra quid you get another type of tap connector is the OP goes down that path and the hose worth £8.99.

Hopefully you'll get enough pressure to blast the car. By no means an expert but is there something you can get\use to boost water pressure (to the resudent experts)? ... I'm lucky enough to live near a petrol station which for £2 you can use there power washers, but as I wash my car regularly I should really start looking at pressure washers.

HTH

Reply to
Edward

Read the Presure Washer FAQ especially the bit about traffic film remover.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Get yourself a Washmatic kit from QVC (and other places), it will wash a car with one bucket and a transit van with two.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

A washing machine tap is exactly the same fitting as a standard outside tap - the attachment for screwing a hose onto an outside tap will just fit on.

auctions

Interesting aside : Manufacturer's 10 year guarantee (excludes fittings).

Reply to
mike

Thats sounds nice and easy. So should I just buy the hose from that Argos link and connect up and that will happily work ?

Reply to
Edward

Sure - it certainly includes the adaptor which I referred to in my previous post.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thank you all very much for the help been much appreciated :-)

Reply to
Edward