Sink sealing washers.

I have replaced my sink but am not sure which side ti big rubber washer goes on. There is a plughole bit, large rubber washer and a large black nut. Does the washer go under the plughole part i..e. above the sink or below i.e. between the sink bottom and the nut. Thanks

Reply to
wounded horse

The latter.

Sometimes there's a compressible foam washer for inside the basin, more often nothing is provided. A leak here just means the basin will slowly drain when the plug is in -- it doesn't leak though. If this is an issue, you can put a line of silicone inside the basin around the basin drain under the waste flange.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Below. However, use silicone sealant both under the plug hole and between the washer and the bottom if you want any chance of a good seal.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the OP is talking about a single skin kitchen sink (stainless steel or plastic) rather than about a bathroom washbasin with built-in overflow.

If he *is*, I would put the rubber washer *inside* the sink, under the flange of the waste fitting.

Reply to
Set Square

The problem there is that the washer pushes the waste up so that you sometimes, depending on the pressing and the thicknesses of the components, get a sharp lip from the edge of the waste. This collects solid waste and prevents all the water draining away.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

All of my SS sinks are a bit dished where the waste attaches so that, even with a thin rubber gasket under the waste flange, the top of the flange is still lower than the surrounding sink area.

Reply to
Set Square

Yes, it depends on the depth of the dish and the thickness of the washer. When favourable, I doubt there is a real problem.

However, even at best, I prefer metal to metal contact, to reduce the amount of filth that can hide invisibly between them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But doesn't the filth then hide under the flange?

Reply to
Set Square

Ok, fitted a kitchen sink an hour ago... Instructions went... Drain-hole, sink, rubber washer, back nut. With silicon between Drain-hole and sink.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

110% endorse that. A couple of years ago, after considerable trouble getting a leak free joint using conventional methods such as plumbers mait etc, this method worked in 1 go. You need setting sealant sold in tubes for mastik guns.

Found the method on uk.d-i-y too! Regrettably cannot find the original posting on Google, but whoever's suggestion it was is a genius!

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Plumbers used to use lashings and lashings of Boss-White before this new fangled silicone stuff.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Doesn't the silicon cause problems if you ever have need to remove the waste?

Reply to
Richard Conway

Silicone's pretty weak in tension.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But if it's adhering well to both surfaces, it's an *absolute abstrad* to break the joint. It's used to glue glass fish tanks together, for example.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:55:50 +0100, Chris Bacon scrawled:

Different type of silicone. If you used normal 'silicone in a tube from Wickes' to assemble a fish tank you'd have a wet floor.

Reply to
Lurch