Sink Mixer Tap got knocked and leaked a little

My kitchen sink has a mixer tap which got a wack the other day. Today I noticed water under the sink as I went to get something. Then I saw a slow drip from one of the threaded studs where the nut goes on and secures the tap to the sink. It seemed to be worse when the cold tap was running so I thought it might be the cold input was damaged.

However on undoing the 2 nuts and releasing the tap from the sink, there is no leak (phew), but what I noticed was there isnt a very good seal between the top side of the sink and the underside of the tape. There is a black rubber ring that sits on the rim of the sink hole but it seems to be pretty flattened and the tap itself doesnt sit snuggly on it.

So I think the water was dripped through the main sink hole from the sink surface to the underside. Would this make sense? If so can I easily replace the big o-ring washer that sits under the tap (and on top of the sink)???

Reply to
benpost

Might well be as you describe, seen it before. Replacing the O ring is a pain as you have to disconnect both feeds to do so and getting the right size might be difficult. Some LS-X would do the job.

Could also be the O ring on the joint where the spout swivels. There will be a small grub screw on the back of the tap body, undo that & the spout can be pulled/twisted out. Proper plumbers merchant should have the O ring & some silicone grease to help get everything back together.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

thanks Dave would clear silicon sealent do the job?

Reply to
benpost

Probably yes.

Reply to