Sink basins?

Hi Basically we need a new sink basin

Haven't had time to go out to the shops yet but we want one with quite a deep 'hole' - i.e the bit you wash dishes in - are there generally standard sizes? I had a look on BandQ website and they have them described as 1.0 and

1.5 - in reference to size I guess?

Also which shops offer the best value for this kind of thing? B and Q? Wickes? Anywhere else?

Reply to
mo

1 is a single bowl. 1.5 is one single bowl plus a small (half!) bowl.
Reply to
Rod

Ahh, cheers

Are the basins with a bigger bowl common or is there generally a standard?

Also, I take it its not that much harder to plumb in for 1.5 bowls rather than 1 (i.e jsut have another pipe going to the smaller one? or are they connected underneath by the metal anyway?

Reply to
mo

Bowls tend to be similar in size IME. Don't think a standard exists, they just seem to be about the same size.

The waste connections for 1.5 bowl sinks are more complicated and you will often find that the height of the waste pipe going out through the wall is higher than the new waste from the sink. This means another hole through the wall in some cases.

You might also find that the extra half bowl creates a problem with the dividing wall of the base units - especially if you have a drawer in the base unit.

Personally I think Wickes give better overall value than B&Q.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sadly not. The "pretty" ones tend to have smaller and shallower bowls. The bigger bowls tend to be the ones that replace a section of worktop, rather than dropping in.

If you want a really deep bowl for pot-washing try a catering suppliers.

Owain

Reply to
Owain