Single pole or double pole?

I need to replace some 13 amp double sockets.

Is it 'best' to get double pole, or is the difference in cost (~50p per socket) not worth it?

It is best to get DP. People *should* pull the plug if they want to isolate the appliance, but a lot of people don't.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It doesn't make much difference, I might have a _very_ slight preference for double pole on RCD protected circuits, and single pole on non-RCD protected circuits. When you've picked the make and style you want, I don't think you normally get the choice though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Snag with these is that should the N (neutral) pole of the switch fail you end up with an appliance apparently dead, but at 240V internally.

Reply to
long ironer

More complex mechanical bits to fail sooner (and twice the contact resistance to generate more heat). On some, live connects before neutral, which causes some plug-in RCDs to trip, believing there to be a neutral fault.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Use double pole. They are superior. Single pole switches are usually older designs with poor switch design (less than 3mm contact gap, for example).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle