single phase Watt hour meter

Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box. To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house. What is it? as in whats it for. and Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Reply to
SS

Sounds rather like the electricity meter! You probably know what they are for ;-)

There will usually be a indication of the flash significance printed on it - say one flash every 100th kwh consumed. So basically the faster it flashes the more its costing.

Reply to
John Rumm

Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Reply to
harryagain

Thanks for replies, wasnt sure if the light was a warning light of some kind.

Reply to
SS

Only that someone is dipping into your pocket on every flash ;-)

(just looked at mine - that is one flash per 1000th kwh as well)

Reply to
John Rumm

Wouldn't it be simpler to say 1 wh per flash? :-)

Reply to
tinnews

It would, but I was indicating how it is marked.

Reply to
John Rumm

With a *small* w ????

Reply to