Single phase motor with brake problem

The wood club I belong to have a Sheppach bandsaw. It had to be taken out of operation last week because bad smells were emanating from the motor. In fact it's not the motor itself but the power brake on it which seems to be the problem, and is not coming off. This brake seems to consist of a floating plate with brake material on each side, an outer plate held by three pillar bolts and in-board, a second plate and I take it some some sort of coil to activate these plates in conjunction with a spring somewhere.

What did catch me out was that power was on permanently to the motor junction box through two cables additional to the motor ones - yes, it did catch me out as I had forgotten to fully isolate the machine before working on it to remove the motor; fortunately it was the flash/ bang type catch, not the electrical assault on one's fingers, etc. It may well be that the bandsaw power switch is where the fault lies and there shouldn't have been power on one or other of these additional wires.

So anyway, can someone tell me how this works and what the likely wiring is. The motor with its brake have gone off to the local repair shop for investigation and I imagine correct re-adjustment of the brake if there is no fault with it.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

It doesn't, they're shit. Scheppach were also over-reacting to PUWER

98 (probably for the schools market) and if you read the regs carefully enough, particularly as related to bandsaws, then you can reasonably argue the toss that you don't need this sort of braking anyway.
Reply to
Andy Dingley