Single Electrical wiring help

Hi,

I bought a new electric oven and it needs installing. I have some basica electrical skills.

As its quite low powered can I get away with using some T&E cable on a plug socket with a 13amp fuse ?

Would that even fit in a plug ?

Or do I have to wire this up to the consumer unit point ?

I followed the cable from the big red cooker switch point, which leads to a blank white plate, behind which is a red, black, and earth cable on some fairly thick looking T&E maybe 6mm. So behind this blanking plate there are also another 3 wires as above which have been connected using some kind of criminping. Just wondering if its just a cause of splitting the crimpo connection and connecting my yet to be bought T&E up to the corresponding colours using some thick electrical blocks (not fancy crimpers here) and then drilling a suitable hole in the plastic blanking plate and then wiring up the 3 wires to the cooker ? (or have I got it all wrong ? not unusual)

Im fairly game in giving it a go, but not at the expense of frying my plums :)

Or better yet save up for an electrician :)

thanks :)

Reply to
soulman_uk

What do the instructions that came with it say? What is its power consumption? You certainly shouldn't be putting T&E into a 13 amp plug. The point of the 13 amp fuse is that anything downstream of it cannot draw more than 3kw (approx), and certainly should not need solid-core T&E cable. It's quite possible that the oven (assuming no hob) is rated at less than 3kw, in which case you can run it off the ring circuit via a 13 amp plug (or probably better, a 13 amp fused connection unit). But if this is the case it would usually be supplied with flex dangling out the back.

Dots

-- Remember Dr Folkman

Reply to
dpydotsmw

You need to find out what the kW rating of the oven is. Less than 3 kW and you can run it via a 13A plug and heat resistant flex.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

all you're doing is fitting a mains flex and plug, so hard to imagine you need an electrician. T&E has rigid cores and isnt heat resistant, better to use a heat resisting flex. A plug is fine if its just an oven, but not if it has rings as well as oven, those cookers need more power.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What nice people we are. I was expecting that post to attract some more harsh comments.

Reply to
newshound

I guess the arsey I-refuse-to-advise-anyone-who-has-to-ask posters didn't notice it.

Dots

-- Remember Dr Folkman

Reply to
dpydotsmw