Simple question about "part P"

Does it apply in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland?

Oh, I see that the same question has occurred to "Cuprager"

Reply to
Aidan Karley

I'm near Edinburgh. I raised this with my brother who, although a cabinet maker in Biggar, also does general building work including electrical installation, which he is capable of doing under the Scottish regulation of 'being competent'. There is no certification as against Part P and he has no formal training, apart from a period in the Army Signals many years ago, but he is 'competent' as far as he is concerned. He probably could prove that from his business track record

- for the rest of us such 'proof' may not be so easy.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 01:42:15 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named Aidan Karley randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

There are different Building Regulations for different parts of the UK; England _and_ Wales[1] have one set, Scotland has its own Regulations, as does Northern Ireland. The IOM and Channel Islands also have their own laws.

[1] Although following devolution, the appeals procedure is slightly different in that one appeals to the Welsh Assembly rather than the Dept of Communities and Local Government (or whatever they are this week).

The Northern Irish regulations and procedures tend to shadow the Eng&W ones, but the Scots have a different system entirely. WRT the original question, AFAIK, electrical safety has been part of the Scottish regs for a lot longer than in the rest of the UK.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:02:47 +0000 someone who may be Hugo Nebula wrote this:-

Since 1959 I gather.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yes.

Scotland or Northern Ireland?

No and no.

There are articles on the new (2004) Scottish Building Regulations in Issues 18 and 19 of /Wiring Matters/, available here

Andy Wade