Simple question about energy used.

Hello all,

I am a bit ill at the minute and can't / can't be bothered to think properly. Can anyone tell me how much energy is expended lifting 120kg through 5 metres vertically please?

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Reply to
David Paste

117.72kJ

mass * g * height = increase in potential energy

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

oops! 5886kJ

brain fade

Reply to
Bob Minchin

So not a set answer then.

Planet Harry and Dennisworld may have a different g to planet Earth.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Cheers, but is that kJ or J?

Reply to
David Paste

Ghostrecon

about 6kJ

Reply to
John Rumm

The kilo prefix deems to be optional in calorie food labeling. I suppose it makes dieting 100 times more effective.

Reply to
Graham.

--

Should that not be 1000?

Reply to
mark

At least g doesn't change unlike the force of gravity on Earth (not that I could expect an electrician to know).

Reply to
dennis

Odd enough, but true: The *kilo*gram is a SI _base_ unit(what the french use ;-) )

So it is 5886 J (with g=9.81 m*s^-2)

JK

Reply to
Johann Klammer

so about 0.0016 kWh

Reply to
Ghostrecon

In message , "dennis@home" writes

That's not universally accepted denboi - there's an experiment going on ATM to test it.

You don't spend millions on such a project if there is no doubt

Reply to
geoff

Really? And I thought it was a defined constant, unlike the actual gravitational force of the Earth.

I wonder why you need to spend millions to redefine a constant?

Reply to
dennis

g is the force of gravity on earth which changes depending on several factors.

G is a constant.

Not that I expect a f****it to know.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In Dennisworld E=mc2 has a different meaning to the rest of the universe as in Dennisworld c=30mph.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Not what I was looking for but

For example

"Abstract In 1687, Isaac Newton published the universal law of gravitation stating that two bodies attract each other with a force proportional to the product of their masses and the inverse square of the distance. The constant of proportionality, G, is one of the fundamental constants of nature. As the precision of measurements increased the disparity between the values of G, gathered by different groups, surprisingly increased [1-16]. This unique situation was reflected by the 1998 CODATA decision to increase the relative G uncertainty from 0.013% to 0.15 % [17]. Our repetitive measurements of the gravitational constant (G) show that G varies significantly with the orientation of the test masses relative to the system of fixed stars, as was predicted by the Attractive Universe Theory [18,19]. The distances between the test masses were in the decimeter range. We have observed that G changes with the orientation by at least 0.054%."

I think you just answered your own question there denboi

Reply to
geoff

"One g is the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface and is the standard gravity (symbol: gn), defined as 9.80665 metres per second squared,[3] or equivalently 9.80665 newtons of force per kilogram of mass."

"Also "g" should not be confused with "G", which is the standard symbol for the gravitational constant"

Reply to
dennis

Which bit of what you quoted do you not understand dickness?

Reply to
Steve Firth

g != G

Reply to