Simple electricla question?!

"The circuits can be loaded up to the total value of the lamps, not to the transformer rating as is usual."

What does that mean? The transformer is rated @ 150w does it not mean i can connect 3x 50w lamps to this circuit using just one transformer? Im confused!

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

I think it means you could use 2x 50w lamps too. A standard transformer might overvoltage if underloaded, causing other lamps on the circuit to blow quickly.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Christian McArdle writes

Reading between the lines, I think it refers to the circuit loading on the mains side.

They are suggesting that with their premium transformers you count the mains circuit requirement as the total (low voltage) lamp load, say 100W for 2 bulbs or 150W for 3, but on an inferior transformer the circuit should be rated at 150W irrespective of the lamp load (1, 2 or 3). Unless you have a ceiling full of LV lighting in each room then I don't think it will make much difference to you and I don't think it affects your application.

However, I would not use any piece of electronics at 100% of its rating for extended periods as it tends to last faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar longer if it is say 20% derated. Thus, I would use a 105W transformer to power 2x50W bulbs, but not a 150W transformer to power 3x50W bulbs.

HTH

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

Ok, that's not even 5%, but you get the idea . . . .

Reply to
fred

Thanks Christian, maybe i smoked too much last night as im not entirely sure what you mean! So you're saying if one lamp blows there may be a voltage surge to the other two lamps, im not sure how this is relevant to my question :o( Are you saying i should only use 2 x50w on this 0-150w transformer?

cheers

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

Not on this transformer, although you may do so if you wish. It claims that you can underload it without ill effects. I think it means that some other makes or designs of transformer must be fully loaded to prevent damaging overvoltage.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ahaaaa many thanks Fred!

:o)

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

Thanks Christian im getting there !

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

FWIW as a fully qualified electrical engineer, tho not of the electrician variety, it made no sense to me at all.

Probably written by IMM....

It might be voltage stability, it might be power factor...who knows?

Maybe its translated from the Japanese. "Be sure of connecting the terminal for the rug"

Took me a lot of lateral thinking to work out that in japan. floors are covered in rugs, and floors are sort of what ground is near, not to mention earth..or perhaps in japan, they have proper steel mats under the houses...to do their earthing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OTOH, when I had to design a basic switch mode power supply from first principles at university, we had to produce very precise output voltages and all sorts of input voltages and output currents without wasting much energy. That's the main point of SMPS.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Christian McArdle writes

And how was it's regulation at zero load . . . .

btw that's really zero load, without the 'zero load' load resistor you had to put in the box to make it stable ;-)

Reply to
fred

Precisely, in more ways than one. You cannot rely on an open loop SMPS system very easily. Not that regulation on 12v LV lamps is particularly important.

Toroids, wound to sensible magnetic flux levels are remarkably good at regulation tho.

In fact so is any transformer, which is why it's rare for all the bulbs in your house to go when your neighbours switch theirs off and sneak upstairs for a bit of nookie while you are stuck reading UK.d-i-y.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

effin useless usually :-) Many SMPS'S won;t even produce voltage at all unless SOME load is applied :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes dear, that was the pint I was trying to make to the enthusiastic one :-)

Reply to
fred

Never mind the pint, cos IMM doesn't believe I haven't been drinking anyway. he POINT is that even one lamp represents enough load to pull and SMPS PSU into decent reg.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup, fairy snuff and I did laugh when I saw my freudian slip after IMM's attempt at a dig . . .

We did eventually answer the OP's question didn't we . . . .

Reply to
fred

Dunno. Who cares?

Its national beat about the Bush and come up IMM day isn't it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher