Simple electric question

I have a slimline strip light. It stopped working recently. Simple, I thought, I'll get another tube for it (and a spare). However, they didn't work. So I checked whether power was getting to it. It is and I've checked it's getting to both end contacts. This might sound simple but I don't understand. If both end contacts are live, surely the tubes should work or are the new ones both dud (highly unlikely). Any ideas please. Nick

Reply to
NB

Are you talking about a fluorescent tube or tungsten strip light (e.g. shaving light).

If the former have you tried changing the starter?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

It's called a batten (MLL10) and has a triphosphor tube. There is no starter Nick

Reply to
NB

I don't recognise the MLL10 but given that you have now effectively tried three tubes it would suggest that there is a failure of the control gear inside the fitting.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I've had a similar problem. You need to replace the fitting. I tried to obtain new electronics but those in mine were not replaceable.

Reply to
Bruce

Or the ballast. Ballasts are available for all the popular sizes. Or it might be a bad endcap connector.

NT

Reply to
NT