"Silverline" tools - any good?

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

Specifically interested in this item:

weed / bramble burning.

Any experiences of this tool very welcome.

Tia,

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I've bought a few bits from them; diamond grit sharpening stones, stopcock key, guide clamp, stiltson wrench etc. All have been good quality bearing in mind the price.

Not used that. Silverline seem reasonable, I've noticed lots of hire shops now stock their range for resale and they wouldn't do that if they were complete crap.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a few of their hand tools - they are pretty basic. If you need something for a one off job I would consider them, but not for anything you will be doing regularly.

Not tried this one, so can't comment.

Reply to
John Rumm

No. They're only suitable for those tools where "a bit dodgy really" is still useful.

Mine isn't Silverline, but is very similar - although it has a bare hose fitting, not a regulator. I suspect this one doesn'thave a regulator either.

It offers a lot of heat, but a low temperature. Handy for tar work, useless for heating metal. As a weed burner it works OK within reach, but it's lighter to carry an old paraffin one around than a propane cylinder. Burning to wilt the leaves controls nettles pretty well, but isn't so good on brambles - the stems survive.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I just bought the primus P3460 roofing kit that came with a bout10m of hose. Cost about 100 quid. Its very powerfull, no its actually awesome for heat,although I think if I had the time to choose I would have bought a different torch for what i was using it for. ( Flat roof ). Not usually involved with open flames but what is a lot of heat at low temperature ?

Reply to
nthng2snet

If youre talking handtools rather than power, theyre fine yes, about at the bottom end of what is good enough for real work, and very cheap. IOW basic but good enough, no monkey metal etc.

Havent used their power tools.

I've never had much joy from weedburners myself, woudlnt buy one - if thats what the link is. Why you cant write what it is I dont know. Its a strange fashion, and always ensures you get less feedback.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

errr generally you would probably get better quality for less at the pound shop. The only thing probably worth buying are the hardwood bodied hand wood working tools like the bevel as the closest quality in that price range , is a 3 times as much.... so I've been told.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Another case of milegae varying I guess. I've always found silverline to be good for the job, consistently ok, cheap but no junk. Much better than poundland stuff, a significant %age of which is no use for serious work, and more of which works but has some issue or other. Silverline is basic but I've yet to be let down by any of it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Lots of power (much gas is burned) but it's a big diffuse flame and never gets to a particularly high temperature in any part. Good for low temperature things like weeds and tar, but not for warming iron up enogh to make it forgeable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , Cicero writes

The man behind Silverline is the man who started Screwfix and sold it to B&Q

Reply to
Mr X

In article , Andy Dingley writes

What is your solution to killing brambles permanently, then?

Reply to
Mr X

The example Silverline power tool (planer) that I looked at was remarkably cheap (under 20 GBP). Quality?

Reply to
John Cartmell

Where I work we sell Silverline stuff, it's cheap crap but thats what people want. Personally I won't use any Silverline tools.

Reply to
Scabbydug

In article , Scabbydug writes

It seems to be typical of the Chinese/Korean genre

I've been using a number of their yellow tie-down straps for a while with no problems.

Reply to
Mr X

In article , John Cartmell writes

You get what you pay for, bearing in mind that these goods come from very cheap labour countries such as Korea and China

Reply to
Mr X

By that argument you should go and buy tools which are made in "very cheap labour countries such as Korea and China" as you will get much more labour for your money in what your are buying.

Reply to
usenet

Agreed, but I was referring to hand tools & power tools. We always have a pile of faulty returns to delight the rep when he calls.

Reply to
Scabbydug

If you were working in QA for 50p and a bowl of rice, would you care much about the stuff you put stickers on?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Probably more than someone who can claim dole if he gets sacked.

Reply to
dennis

What about their worktop jig, is that any good for a limited number of joints, not pro use?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John