Silicone sealant for casting insitu window draught seal

I'm sure I've seen mention of this technique in the archives, but can't find it now. Idea being with my very uneven gaps on softwood casement openers, to:

1/ Open window 2/ Cover opener contact points in suitable release agent (Cling film, silcone or PTFE spray?) 3/ Seal on to frame in the proper position of a typical draught excluder with low mod silicone. 4/ Close window to vent position 5/ Time passes... 6/ Open and trim with knife as necessary. 7/ Have lower bills and more comfort.

Anyone like to add anything to help task satisfaction, esp concerning release agent.

-- Mike W

Reply to
visionset

I've posted that I've done it in the past.

I used low-tack packing tape. As I could find no low-tack packing tape, I simply used ordinary packing tape, with the teenyist bit of cornflour applied to it. With 'Flora Buttery" over the top of it, as a release agent.

It's essentially impossible to get it very neat. If you can get to outside the window, then it may be possible to remove the excess in a neat manner. (white spirit soaked rags help lots)

Of course, for really rotten windows, just omit the tape...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ive found a scalpel blade and peeling back excess is a great way to neaten silicone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah - it's not impossible, just really annoying, especially if perched up a ladder...

It may be faster in some cases to simply unscrew the window tops, after casting the large glob of silicone, and do it flat.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You have the technique about right, it is common sense.

The release agent I used was candle wax. Just rub a candle on the bits where non-sticking contact was required.

In the original thread you recall, many agents were recommended as you remembered.

Ther comments were the use of masking tape to cover bits where you didn't want the sealant to wander to.

Reply to
EricP