Silicone instead of tile grout

The grout between the vertical tiles in my shower has cracked and opened.

I have repaired it a couple of times already, 10 to 16 months in between.

Is it ok to use silicone instead of grout to seal the joints?

There is silicone already at the base, along the joint with the ceramic shower tray, and at the vertical corners of the shower cubicle. This silicone is almost intact, sealing perfectly and with only a few mold spots after more than three years.

It may not look "conventional" but it may produce a better seal. I don't care much about the look.

I need a good seal because there are water leaks through the cracked grout.

Reply to
asalcedo

If the grout keeps cracking then your tiles are going to fall off soon. You can silicone grout them, it works, but its a sod to clean and the grout lines have to be wider. I'm told non-acetic cure silicone is less mould friendly.

NT

Reply to
meow2222