Silicon sealant

Hello
I am planning on replacing the sealant around my shower, it's not leaking but looks pretty ropey so I thought I would redo it before it does leak. How do I remove the old sealant?
Angela
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:03:08 +0000 (UTC), Angela wrote:

With difficulty unless it's already falling off. B-)
You can get silicone sealant removal stuff but I've never used it. Try a google in this group as I think there has been a liitle dicussion in the past. I'd cut away as much as possible first then use the remover to clean up the residue.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Cut it away with a suitable blade to remove as much as you can. Then, either re-seal over what's left or go to your local DIY store and buy some silicone remover. It's the same price as silicone (if not more) but will soften the silicone for easy removal.
It's usual though to just remove the bulk with a blade and re-do.
PJO wrote:

Its 5 quid ish for a small tube.

Hardly touched the stuff I tried it on ..

Yup, just lots of hard work with various scraping tools..
Angela wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?tsh220&id 504
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:03:08 +0000 (UTC), "Angela"

AIUI you just rip out the old stuff as best you can ,clean up the mess with Silicone Eater and replace with new stuff using masking tape to make neat edges . Stuart ---------
Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me
Try soaking the silicone sealant in meths overnight using a cloth covered with cling film to stop it evaporating.