Silicon sealant

Hello

I am planning on replacing the sealant around my shower, it's not leaking but looks pretty ropey so I thought I would redo it before it does leak. How do I remove the old sealant?

Angela

Reply to
Angela

With difficulty unless it's already falling off. B-)

You can get silicone sealant removal stuff but I've never used it. Try a google in this group as I think there has been a liitle dicussion in the past. I'd cut away as much as possible first then use the remover to clean up the residue.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cut it away with a suitable blade to remove as much as you can. Then, either re-seal over what's left or go to your local DIY store and buy some silicone remover. It's the same price as silicone (if not more) but will soften the silicone for easy removal.

It's usual though to just remove the bulk with a blade and re-do.

Reply to
PJO

John Rumm

Its 5 quid ish for a small tube.

Hardly touched the stuff I tried it on ..

Yup, just lots of hard work with various scraping tools..

Reply to
BillR

AIUI you just rip out the old stuff as best you can ,clean up the mess with Silicone Eater and replace with new stuff using masking tape to make neat edges . Stuart

---------

Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me

Reply to
Stuart

Try soaking the silicone sealant in meths overnight using a cloth covered with cling film to stop it evaporating.

Reply to
Biscuit