Sili wiki

says:-

"Silicone sealant is a versatile and flexible waterproof sealant with a multitude of applications (see the Putty & Mastic article for other types of sealer).

It is particularly good in situations where you need to make a waterproof gap seal, but cannot completely eliminate movement between the parts to be sealed. Its key features are:

Remains permanently elastic after curing. Long life expectancy in many applications. Does not shrink. Water based formula. .... Supports mould growth"

er Water based formula??

first goggle:-

"Material Safety Data Sheet Silicone sealant (adhesive)

  1. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS PRODUCT COMPOSITION CAS REG NO. WGT. %

A. HAZARDOUS METHYLTRIACETOXYSILANE 4253-34-3 1 - 5 % Octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane 556-67-2 1 - 5 %

B. NON-HAZARDOUS dimethylpolysiloxane 70131-67-8 60 - 90 %

Treated Filler 68611-44-9 10 - 30 %

Siloxanes & Silicones, 68554-67-6 5 - 10 % Dimethylpolymers w/Methylsilsesquioxanes

er supports mould growth?

what all forms?? even the anti mould stuff?

Who writes this stuff and based on what?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

If it *is* water based, I want my money back.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

He said he got it on Wiki.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

yes, very much. anti mould ones only delay things.

There are 2 kinds of people in life, contributors & whiners. If you have some knowledge, contribute it. Hint: wikis work by progressive improvement.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Three kinds - you forgot "armchair experts who snip out facts they find inconvenient"....

Is it water based then? With refs please...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Well if it is broke, fix it! Be a contributor instead of a whiner.

Reply to
polygonum

nconvenient"....

Its not inconvenient, if you have info on a point that's lacking or wrong t hen go & contribute it. Whining wont do anything.

As for armchair experts, you seem to like that phrase. Its from using it fo r however many years as well as listening to others that I know that basica lly silicone all contains mould food, and genuinely mouldproof stuff doesnt AFAIK exist. You're the one that doesnt know this stuff, but whines anyway .

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Do we assume you are responsible for the :silicon is water based" gaffe? Unless you have references to the contrary I for one find that hard to believe.

As you say IF you have knowledge contribute yet this wiki article that you appear to be defending appears to be unsubstantiated drivel.

What is the point?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

So you have nothing to contribute but bullshit & whining. ok, bye.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

why would I want to contribute to a piece of "work" that appears to already be massively obviously flawed even in it's introduction & has no references for some questionable claims (evidently).

The fact that I have pointed these out and you appear to be trying to argue the toss further dissuades me from wasting my time correcting your imaginary "armchair prowess" shown in these & other "diki-wiki" entries.

I ask again - what is the point of you typing out all this wiki stuff when it contains such obvious misunderstandings/misinformation? ego trip? therapy? OCD? hobby?!?

You then have the audacity/laziness to suggest that those that spot your cockups should be the ones to edit & correct them?! WTF?

Can't wait for the next howler ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

From Wikipedia:

"Wikis are generally designed with the philosophy of making it easy to correct mistakes"

Not really understanding this wiki thing are you Jim....

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

That may have been me (I have successfully re-gassed a freezer, which is still working), but I don't recall getting any information from a Wiki, just general refrigeration sites, and random googling & Youtube. I did, however then go on to write it up on the Wiki here

Toby

I suspect it would be more correct to highlight that it cures by a process of water absorption, rather than being water based (which even if true probably ought to be phrased water born)

AIUI, only the paint on water proofing type designed for sealing pourous masonry are waterborn.

Not sure it should be in the section on features - perhaps one on "problems"

yup. The sanitary ones include a fungicide - that retards growth, but does not eliminate it if its kept wet long enough....

As with all wiki articles, click the history link at the top of the page to see who contributed the various parts.

Feel free to edit and improve. (if you want a wiki account, email me your choice of username)

Reply to
John Rumm

The wiki article is not perfect (none of them are), however it does contain a substantial body of correct and useful information that has been collated from the many discussions held in this group of the years. Its also a popular article, with in excess of 65,000 page views so far.

If one finds errors, or questionable "facts" then by all means raise them / do your own research / make corrections as appropriate, but the whole hissy fit routine just seems a bit childish.

I have reworded the section for you now. See if that meets with your approval. (if not, feel free to make it better)

All of those quite possibly, and also the hope that someone might find some useful information. What is the point of any FAQ document?

Well that is kind of the point of the whole DIY DIY FAQ thing...

Reply to
John Rumm

Born of water? No, borne by water. Is there a difference between waterborne and water based? Milk is waterborne but isn't water soluble. Discuss...or not :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Nope seems like a waste of time ;>)

If it's such a great idea why is this one wrong in such a basic manner?

I can only remember a handful of times that "the wiki" is referred to as a source of knowledge (however useful) for a certain topic. Usually the same proponents recommend it and are usually authors/contributors to it...

The crux (perhaps only for me) is how would a person looking for info on topic X find out that some of the facts served in "the wiki" are right or wrong? ..the hard way? IOW they would have been better looking elsewhere from the start?

So what's the point of it?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Look here Jimbo. No one disputes that a lot of what you read online is garbage, but at least with Wiki you can change it.....if you can be bothered. An FAQ of wiping your backside isn't of interest to the vast majority

Reply to
stuart noble

The latter...

Yes and yes... e.g. many acrylic paints use a water as a carrier, but are nor water soluble in the way that water colour paint is.

Reply to
John Rumm

either you want it 'corrected' or not

youre free to add some

your pov is childish

childish

it began becos people asked the same popular qs over & over. Writing something once makes more sense than 100 times.

I've also found it a good way to learn, as others contribute to the article. Plus I have use for some of the material elsewhere

ego trip? therapy? OCD? hobby?!?

you can improve articles or just whine. Who cares which

childish

NT

Reply to
meow2222