Silent thermostat

Page 1 of 2
Our bedroom gets very cold at night, due to having unheated spaces on 5 of it's 6 sides, despite double glazing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation and insulation in the floor. I don't want to run the central heating all night, partly because it's wasteful to heat the whole house for one room and partly because it was installed by an imbecile and it clanks and clonks as it heats up and cools down and keeps us awake. I'm already wearing a tracksuit under a 13.5tog quilt, so more bedding isn't really an option.
So ... I bought a Dimplex 2kW convector heater to have on at night, thinking it would be relatively silent. Wrong. The thermostat in it reminds me of the Rank Organisation's gong in the credits of their movies. So, we're lying there wide awake (nice and warm, mind) listening to this thing going *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, long pause, *TOCK*, long pause, *TICK*, like a bloody deranged slow-motion grandfather clock.
So, does anyone know of a plug-in thermostat that will switch 2kW, but above all must be silent. TLC have this one;
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMET05.html
But looking at the instructions, it too ticks. And my experience of the longevity of Smith Instruments domestic timers and the like is not good.

not have an audible click, a bimetallic strip or latching relay (both mechanical) are the cheapest way of switching lots of power. I have built such systems in the past using solid state relays which are silent, but would be very expensive commercially.
Have you thought about an electric blanket? You can throw off all that excess bed covering weight and still be nice and toasty. A darn sight cheaper to run than a 2kW heater! I reckon ours uses less than a unit per night.
Dave

[27 lines snipped]

I've never been very happy about the idea of electric overblankets. Are they safe?

Yes. Well, at any rate, you don't hear of too many electrocutions or fires caused by them.<g>
--
Cheers,
Set Square

The only time that I have come close to dying in a fire, it was caused by one of these things. During the night it must have been too hot, and I managed to kick it and a pillow off the bed. The blanket folded up, the pillow landed on the blanket. I woke up to the smell of burning and a room full of smoke. The blanked had folded into half and the pillow had insulated a portion of the creased blanket allowing it to overheat.
It was well ablaze by the time I woke up and I reckon I was lucky to have woken at all.
All at a friends house who ended up being most apologetic about the incident. Not their fault, but IMO the damn things are inherently unsafe.

Yes. But like all electrical items you have to treat them with respect. Always buy new and follow the instructions carefully (which are only common sense instructions).
By law all electric blankets sold have to be BEAB approved and have built in overheat protection. They also monitor earth leakage and check for breaks in the circuit continuously.
They are so robust you can wash them in a washing machine, although personally we don't. We replace ours every 5 years as a matter of course.
To be absolutly straight, yes, they have caused fires, and people have died using them, but in all cases blankets have been blatently faulty and 99% were over 10 years old. I believe about 20 people a year in the UK die using them.
Compare this with fatalities caused by faulty heaters.
Using one is safer than crossing the road, but you have to weigh up the pros and cons in your own mind.
HTH
Dave

Which is more people than die each year that will be saved by the new electrical safety regs to be introduced shortly. And guess what? Those safety regs do not cover electric blankets or any other type of utility device plugged into the mains.
PoP
On 31 Dec 2003 15:53:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

My experience of falling asleep on an underblanket (accidentally left switched on) is that you will die of overheating first. However, they do a good job of taking the chill off the bed itself, and you should not feel cold while you fall asleep. Two people under a winter rating duvet ought to get through the night without discomfort even in a cold room.
[Alternatively, why don't you move to one of your other gazillion bedrooms when it's chilly ?!]
--
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.

Mail john rather than nospam...

We have seperate quilts on a 6' bed. Sharing a quilt with my wife is not a pleasant experience, as the only heating benefit gained is friction burns caused by the quilt flying past in her direction, as she wraps it round herself at about 15rpm.

We had this conversation... :o)
Because the bed in the spare bedroom is too small.
On 1 Jan 2004 13:26:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

;-) There must be a joke in there somewhere, women, entropy, natural order of the universe, that sort of thing.
You could still try an underblanket. They lend themselves well to "sidedness".

What about the spare wife - is she no better ?
--
God dislikes money - look who he gives it to.

Mail john rather than nospam...

Ear-plugs? but then you won't hear the smoke alarm...
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Precisely.
writes

An oil-filled electric radiator may be a better solution. From memory, the thermostats are a lot quieter, if only because they are in a big empty (almost) metal "sounding" box. Also the higher thermal mass means the stat operates much less frequently. Steadier heat output as well.
--
Steve

[7 lines snipped]

OK, I'll try one of those, instead.
BTW, for all the electric blanket fans, SWMBO has vetoed that. She wants the air temperature raised to acceptable levels.

Presumably as its only your head that will benefit, have you thought about buying a couple of balaclavas?
.... you could always add goggles afterwards if she still complains about her eyelids getting cold.
Dave

*LAUGH*
Can you come round and explain this, please? I fear for my life if I try.
"Dave Gibson" wrote | Presumably as its only your head that will benefit, have you thought | about buying a couple of balaclavas?
I would have thought it could be pretty frightening waking up in the middle of the night to find it's twisted round and the eye-holes are no longer over the eyes.
Owain
On 31 Dec 2003 13:32:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

I would be seriously considering an exorcist if I were you.
ATB
Kris

If the thing is 2KW capacity and is cycling the thermostat then it is running at less than 2KW average. You can gain some idea of the actual power by estimating ON/(ON+OFF).
If that is the case then it might be possible to run it at a reduced mains voltage such that it produces the same avg output power without ever tripping the thermostat (turn the stat up full anyway). eg, P= V-squared/R, so running at (say) 0.707x normal mains voltage would produce an average of 1KW output from a 2KW heater.
TRIAC power regulators are devices that produce an effective reduction of the AC voltage into a resistive load (silently).
See <http://www.farnell.com part numbers 291-500 or 291-511.
291-511 is interesting because it also allows attachment of a thermistor for temperature control.
--
Tony Williams.

[20 lines snipped]

Ooh. Tinkering to be done. Thanks!