silent pull cord switches

Simply - views and sources for pull cord switches that are silent, or near silent please?
Thanks
FirstTimer wrote:

There aren't any in my experience. Bloody loud aren't they when mounted on plasterboard? They have to have a strong spring action to open the contacts quickly so I suppose there is not way to avoid it...
BillR wrote:

How about cord wrapped round a dimmer switch, with a spring return :-)

"FirstTimer" wrote | Simply - views and sources for pull cord switches that are silent, or | near silent please?
You could try a Dimpull http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPCD51.html http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Other/Dimpull.htm
Also says it is suitable for use with bathroom fans.
Haven't used it myself.
Or google for the thread "touch sensitive light switches for bathroom", late October this year.
Owain
FirstTimer wrote:

Oh. Thats easy. Just make the cord about a mile long, put the switch in the next parish, and route the lot back with some T & E....
:-)

In uk.d-i-y, FirstTimer wrote:

They *used* to be much quieter - ISTM that the noisy ones were introduced a couple of decades ago. I don't like them either. You could buy an older house, but make sure that in the contract it says that they have to leave the light switches.
--
Mike Barnes

I bought one from B&Q several years ago, it's not completely silent but close to it. I don't know if they still do it though.
ferret
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (FirstTimer) wrote in

Hasn't anyone produced a pneumatic one? Seems obvious technology for the job.
I had thought of getting one of the radio controlled switches for the job - but seems a bit of an expensive solution.
Rod

Yes, they are for turning lights off after a delay period.
Dave

??? I think that this does what I want.
<http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CPC+Catalogue&ca tegory%5Fname=Electrical%2C+Security+and+Test+%2D+Mains+Electrical+Accessor ies+%2D+Home+Automation&product%5Fid&1672>
<http://tinyurl.com/xxab
Rod

The link is broken. Anyway what you want is a Pneumatic delay switch from any electrical wholesalers, but they are quite expensive, I think around 15.
Dave

Now I've written that, I am not so sure that is what your after. Anyway go look at one and you will see what it does.
Dave

Dave - I am now with you! My blinkers prevented me from reading what you had written. I was taking your comment to be about the remote switching things - not pneumatic ones. Yes - the old switches that give you not quite long enough to get upstairs in shared property.
My mind is definitely on something like the pneumatic cistern flush buttons - but controlling the light. Unfortunately, no else's seems to be, especially manufacturers.
Rod
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (FirstTimer) wrote in message

At the Ideal Home show at the beginning of the year there was a company (sorry don't have the details) exhibiting an RF extension switch to convert a one-way switch to two-way operation. Basically you replaced a single switch with a radio controled one and then had a little battery powered transmitter that looked like a second switch for two-way operation. The idea was that this could be mounted next to a bed without having to put in all the wiring. Being battery operated it could be used in the bathroom as an alternative to a pull switch.
To be really tounge in cheek mount another about 12" from the end of the bath so you can turn the lights on and off while wallowing in bubbles. If nothing else it would be interesing to see if a purchaser's surveyor made any comment when you came to sell ;-)
Andrew