Silent Fluorescent lights ???

Do silent fluorescent lights exist, or do they ALL hum ?

I need two 12" / 8 watt daylight tubes to illuminate two stained glass windows recently blocked externally by the construction of an attached garage with the attendant need for 1/2 hour fire rating.

I've installed a pair of lights driven off a dawn to dusk sensor and all works fine EXCEPT the humming of the d**** things - they hum at start up, and it stops if they are tapped - but soon comes back. I assume it's the choke wound with as little copper as they can get away with.

Anyone know of any that are silent?

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Anything using an electronic ballast

You can buy them separately if you want to swap them out in a fitting.

Basically you throw away the choke and starter and replace with a module the size of a choke.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The T4 Triphosphor Fluorescent lights (available from screwfix and QVC) are silent, they give off a whiter light than an average flourescent tube.

Reply to
Stuart

Andy,

Can you suggest a supplier ?

Regards,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Most of the slimline kitchen ones should be.

Screwfix say that their ones specifically have electronic ballasts

e.g. 98307

You might want to check the dimensions.

T4 tubes are standard lengths AFAIK, though

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

CPC do the Omicron(sp?) ones with 2700K tubes, more choice of lengths. So do Maplin, but only one or two of the tube lengths. B&Q do T4's with 3500K tubes IIRC (screwfix probably the same). Omicron also do 4000K tubes for theirs, but I don't know who sells them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for all the helpful posts - I've now ordered some electronic ones from Screwfix

Regards,

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Tube colours: one of the 2 screwfix ones comes with 4000K tubes, which wont fit in with filament bulbs (which are more like 2700K). 4000K is a fairly cold white light, not to everyones tastes.

The other one lacks info.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton