Signal Reception Problems

Hello All

I have a problem which is driving me close to insanity. I have a loft box set up (Philex) which distributes TV, FM and SAT to a number of TVs dotted around the house. I utilise the RF Out of the sky box to return the feed up to the loft box, I beleive this is pretty much a standard setup. Now, on my TVs I have terrestrial TV tuned in on channels 1-5 and for channel 6 I have Sky. I also use magic eyes so I can change the Sky channel. Now this all worked a treat up until about

1 year ago when suddenly I started getting a crap picture every now and then, BBC1 is always much worse. Most of the time the picture is near perfect and can be for days on end when all of a sudden something will cause snow on the picture.

The main room TV which takes it feed direct from the skybox via scart is always pin sharp. This TV is not tuned into terrestrial as it doesn't have an aerial feed going into it.

I have plugged the aerial feed from the downlink directly into the main room TV and the picture is still rubbish so it isn't being caused by something in the Sky STB onwards. I haven't as yet plugged a portable directly in to the aerial cable in the loft but plan to do that soon.

From my troubleshooting so far it would appear that the problem has to

do with either the aerial, the loft box or the down link cable.

What is baffling me with this, is if the problem was the external aerial, surely this would not affect channel 6 which is tuned into Sky. Could external aerial interference cause all the channels to go screwy?

Also if it were the cable or the loft box why would the interference not be constant.

Anyone have any thoughts on this one, I'd really like to get it sorted

Thanks

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Sound like a very strong out-of-band signal causing cross-modulation. TETRA comes to mind, a sort of cellular telephone system for the emergency services, but it probably would be more constant. Perhaps a local radio amateur or taxi station?

You need to do the test with the TV connected directly to the aerial.

Yes, the RF out channel from the digibox will also be subject to the interference; if you unplug the cable from the aerial input on the Digibox so only Digibox signal is distributed, I would expect it to be clean.

Reply to
Graham.

You're not wrong! I am experiencing the snowy picture this morning so I just did as you said, removed the aerial input from the STB and channel 6 is in sharp on all other TVs. Not sure why I didn't think of this myself!!

So, I will test with portable later this weekend.

If it does happen to be the aerial, can I get this interferance surpressed?

I live in a small village so nowhere near any taxi stations, but it wouldn't surprise me if we had someone using CB radio or something similar, would this cause the same interferance? Maybe I should go and hunt down the man with the big twig! :)

Thanks for your help

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Look up sitefinder.gov.uk or similar, not the easiest site to use but that might help .. and no don't hunt down the man or whoever it is with the big twig, as the powers that be, if its a licensed radio user, will deem the problem to be in !Your! Equipment responding the signals it shouldn't!....

Reply to
tony sayer

I just found some TETRA surpressors whilst buying some other kit. Apprently the signals can be amplified by masthead boxes. I have one of those as the recpetion for TV in our village is dire. Anyway thanks and will take a look at that site see what I can find out.

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Failing that post to uk.tech.digital.tv