Sign on Exterior Doors

House not so very far away has in the past few days placed a small red sign on their outside doors.

Looks like a strip of red material (maybe paper? or plastic?) - guessing four or five inches wide and an inch or so high - on their outside doors. Horizontally. At the very top of the glazed panel. Cannot get close enough to see really well.

Once noticed it is very obvious, but can easily be missed.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Does it have any meaning - cultural, religious or, indeed, nefarious?

Reply to
polygonum

Absolutely no idea. Jewish houses will have a "Mezuzah" on the RH doorpost, viewed as you enter, on internal and external doors. They ate mounted vertically or diagonally, never horizontally as you describe.

Reply to
Graham.

Yes - that is as I thought. So I dismissed the idea, but had thought of that.

Reply to
polygonum

DIY feng shui by someone who cannot be bothered to paint the whole door?

Reply to
Robin

Come on! Man up! We need to know, so organise yourself onto a sponsored run and pop round to the house ostensibly to get them to donate, but in reality to spy out the red sign.

Reply to
GB

Binoculars. The zoom on a half decent compact camera will capture a lot more than you see with the unaided eye.

Reply to
Graham.

There are reasons those would be difficult to achieve! But shall try.

Reply to
polygonum

Graham.

"Do not press your nose against the glass"

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

One of those "don't deliver my parcels to my neighbours" signs for the postie?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Homeopathic exterior decorating ?

Rusty

Reply to
therustyone

A bit boring but I was wondering if it is a version of a 'No cold calling' sign - but it seems a bit small for this. The one we have is about 120x80 and has clear text readable from about 10 metres.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

We're relying on you!

Reply to
GB

My son wants homeopathic working hours - an hour a year.

Reply to
GB

Red lights are too obvious?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Graham. was thinking very hard :

I very vaguely remember seeing in some older properties I visited for what ever reason long ago, a small metal brackets on the door frames. I was always puzzled by their purpose, from the above these might well have been brackets for Mezuzah's then?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They would have been containers, not brackets. A mezuzah has a small scroll of parchment inside. To be exact, the scroll is the mezuzah, and the case around it has no significance and can be any shape. Obviously, what you see is just the case.

Reply to
GB

Why not?

Have your legs dropped off?

Just walk up to the door and had have a bloody good look.

Reply to
ARW

"Caution. Landmines on path."

Owain