Siezed air vent plug in large radiator

Friends, I have a problem with a siezed air vent plug in a large welded radiator.

Any ideas on how to remove and hopefully rethread the hole without having to buy a whole new radiator?

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

Do you mean the bleed screw or the larger thingy it fits in to?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thankyou for asking, my apologies for not coming back on this question.

The radiator is of a welded construction (8 feet long by 4 feet high) (There is not a larger section that it fits into apart from the whole radiator) and the bleed screw is siezed, I am concerned that by forcing it I will either snap it off or strip the threads.

All I really need to do is to open it to release the air build up inside.

I was wondering whether I should attempt to freeze it with one of those electrician/plumber type sprays and then heat it up again to make it lose the grip, I know that the method works, sometimes, on seized nuts and bolts.

Any ideas would be appreciated since a new radiator price is prohibitive!

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

Thats ferkin huge! Are you sure? Whats it heating, the Royal Albert Hall?

As you should be :-) Be gentle with it.

Blowlamp might work. Plusgas is worth a try.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've just got out a tape measure to see exactly what that ( 8ft x 4ft) looks like . That can't be right surely?

Reply to
fictitiousemail

Why not? I'm sitting not 3' from a 10' x 3' single panel unfinned radiator. It's old mind, modern radiators tend to be smaller by being double panel and finned.

As for geting the seized plug out, plus gas and gentle percusion in both directions.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Welded? Sized at 8 foot X 4 foot? For a radiator? It must be a specially made thing, yes?

Our local community center has smaller radiators than that in its main hall, and they play football on a full sized pitch in there. :-)

We would need a photograph of the said culprit. Not just of the radiator, but the room that it is sited in.

Reply to
BigWallop

Its a full sheet of plywood!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thankyou, not only to Dave but to all who responded, I will attempt using Plus Gas and tender words of encouragement!

I am wrong in my measurements, the radiator is 8 foot long by 3 feet high, single unit, no fins on the back.

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

Oh.Only 3ft high .That's a tiddler then . :-)

Reply to
fictitiousemail

Could not purchase Plus-gas no-one we tried had it in stock, eventually purchased 3-in-1 Professional Penetrant Spray which worked a treat!

Thankyou for the suggestions.

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg