Shrinking a seal

I bought a VHF radio the other week for use in a boat. Unfortunately, on its first outing it got bashed about to the extent that the battery clip broke and the battery fell off and got flung around the bottom of the boat for a while before I noticed. I normally take better care of things, but it was a very bouncy day and I was having a hard enough job staying in the boat myself. Despite the newness of the radio I don't think it's worth going back to the supplier - it was a budget range and the treatment it got probably exceeds fair wear and tear.

I'll be improvising some form of replacement clip, but I'm having difficulty with the thin rubber seal that goes round the battery and makes the radio watertight (supposed to be good 1m underwater for 30 minutes). It seems to have somehow stretched, so that when I put it back into its groove there's always a little bulge of extra seal with nowhere to put it.

Is there some cunning dodge to shrink this kind of seal slightly so that it's a tight fit again? Failing that, is there any kind of thin glue that's safe on this kind of rubber, so that if I ever do get it all in place I can keep it there?

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

The trick is not to feed the seal in from a single point as the widthwise squeezing pressure makes the seal longer. Put it in at one point and then another halfway round then in the middle of the two points and so on. It should all go back in then.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Th trick is to starve the seal completely, then beat its brains out with a club, and gut it.

That way you get a very thin seal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Pete Verdon scribeth thus