Shredding files on a laptop.

Remove the hard drive and get a USB caddy for it. You can then use it with your new laptop.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could anyone recover data from a HDD after 7 passes with software writing random 1/0s without spending ?'000s or access to a government lab?

Reply to
Robin

Drill a hole right through the drive half way between the spindle and the edge so you go through all platters. Best and quickest way.

:)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

No idea but I'm bettign an 'eavy 'ammer is more effective and more fun :-)

and you can take the little Neodymium Magnets out.

When I took the lid off a 500GB PC drive (that took 20 mins to start a PC) had to remove 4 torx screws, I could actually see a wiggley scratch on the surface of the disc in two places. Which was good as I could point out to t he owner that that was most likely the cause of his disc not working, and h e was very happy to hit it with a hammer to 'securely' erase it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Wot'e'said.

Plus you get a chance to use that set of tiny torx screwdrivers, and get a neodymium magnet out of it as well.

Just for deletion: stake it, i.e. hammer and possibly spike...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

depends. if sectors had been taken out of operation by the disks firmware, they might still have data, but again, you need to be pretty well equipped to read the platters raw without the controller and firmware there.

All you really need to do for domestic purposes is to make sure that if you access the disk on a sector by sector basis using its own firmware, then no usable data comes out.

You don't need 7 passes to do that. One is enough.

Or you could simply fill the disk with huge video files of barney the dinosaur.

thats as near random rubbish as you probably need to go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And the crucifix, silver bullet and holy water

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) scribbled

He's not the brightest spark. This is the second time in a couple of weeks this subject has come up.

Reply to
Jonno

Why are people so paranoid about data left on disk drives? It really isn't *that* easy to recover files that have simply been deleted. If you go a bit further and do a 'full format' of the drive then that's erased well enough to prevent almost anybody except GCHQ with a

*lot* of time and money to spare from retrieving information.
Reply to
cl

Well, quite. You shouldn't have anything vital like entire bank details including password etc on it anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Much of the recycling ends up in China - think identity theft

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I am not so sure a 'full format' does what you think it does.

writing data to every sectors is what you need to do, not just recreating partition information.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

  1. ID theft is a billion dollar industry.
  2. Money theft
  3. How many court cases do you think there are where it turns out what the prosecution guessed simply was not backed up by real facts? Why volunteer?
  4. Pictures of children can make them targeted sometimes
  5. Personal notes etc
  6. Passwords, location info, financial info etc
  7. Crazy people
  8. Changes in law & social expectations
  9. Stupid bigotry
  10. Copyright theft
  11. Business information theft etc etc

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Format and write zeroes everywhere. Only after that it will require GCHQ.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If the drive has been formatted they're not going to expend the sort of effort required for the small chance that there's that sort of information on the drive.

Reply to
cl

Full format does write over everything, that's why it takes so much longer than a quick format which rewrites (as you say) just the parititioning information.

Reply to
cl

I just looked it up - "Since Windows Vista, a full format writes zeroes to all data sectors". It's not really why it takes so much longer though, a full format does much more detailed error checking.

Reply to
cl

Not even with spending £'000s or access to a government.

The only thing they might be able get some data from is bad sectors that aren't used anymore that you didn?t write anything to in the wiping.

Reply to
Hilo Black

After so many years working with computers I find that rather satisfying.

Reply to
DJC

I dunno if this can be done in Windows, but on the Linux system that we use you can just open a terminal and issue the "shred" command. The number of default overwrites is 3 times (but you can change that) & z which adds a final overwrite with 0000s. It will also shred RAID, & wipe full hard drives. E.G: shred -vfz -n 10 /dev/md1

Reply to
Martin Barclay