Shredder advice please

Spouse has decided he'd like a new one, the pencil sharpener type which doesn't make a loud noise.

Any opinions?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have a Bosch 2000W one.

It deals with anything that we put into it and is very quiet.

Be careful which model you buy. In currecnt models there is the AXT2000 which is the quiet screw type and the AXT200 which is the noisy, jamming disc type. Both have 2000W motors.

B&Q seem to have a reasonable price on them at present.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think we already have the noisy, jamming disc type. It doesn't jam often because over the years we've lerned how to feed stuff in but he's heard about the fancy type and wants one. His excuse is that a son will be glad to have the old one ... Generous to a T, my husband!

Thanks for the information.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

See "Paper Shredding" Thread 1/9/04. By "Jon Nicholl" Probably of use to you, or hopefully.

Reply to
EricP

I bought the Bosch AXT1600 "mincer" after the more powerful ones got rave reviews in this newsgroup a while ago. It's a good £80 cheaper than the 2000 (£221 at tesco.com was the best price I found) and easily copes with all our prunings.

Also, for Mary anyway, it's so quiet we can run it very near the beehive and they aren't bothered at all.

Reply to
LSR

B&Q have the AXT2000 for £200 and the 1600 for £120

has AXT2000 for £179 + £14 delivery.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We never had a problem with mechanical or other noise near beehives but we haven't any beehives now ... well, I use the lifts for growing potatoes but they don't mind noise either :-)

Thanks for the info.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Cor!

Perhaps I could haggle with them ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Always. Never pay the asking price.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We have the Bosch AXT2200HP which is even quieter tan the screw type, it has what can be best described as a 3 inch horizontal milling cutter which works against an adjustable cast aluminium plate. It will shred just about anything with very little noise - the cutter itself runs at about 100 rpm and drags the branch/bush/arm/leg into the machine before mincing quite effortlessly. The slight drawback is they retail at about £300 but we have had ours over 4 years now and would not be without it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

I'm going to have to let Spouse make the decision.

He's not built for making decisions. That'll teach him not to pretend to be generous!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

OK Dave, I've just dragged Spouse from his aeroplane book to look at these replies and tried to tempt him with the XT2200HP.

He's quite keen on the AXT2000W, saying that the one you describe is really just like the one we already have only with more blades.

I can't see that, can you explain, please?

Mary p.s. he's just called up saying we - *WE* - should have gone to HB on 10% day. He's wanted this thing for months and not done anything about it.

Bloomin men :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary

More info on the whole Bosch shredder range here:

you follow the 'more info' bit you can see an enlarged picture.

The machine has a very large robust gearbox which as I said reduces the motor speed down to a very powerful 100rpm (about 1.5 revs a second)

It is definatly nothing like the high speed screeching shredders.

The gearbox drives a horizontal cutter which rests on a cast aluminium plate. The cutting action is performed between the cutter and plate deep inside the machine.

If you look at the picture you can see how robustly it is built.

You can download the operating manual from here so you may see more detail of its construction:

As I said before, they are around £300 inc VAT. but shop around.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Danke :-(

I'll show him and let you know.

Mary

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

err ---- the manual is one of those big multilingual tomes - if you wade through it you vill find ze INGRISH bit!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

They haf vays of making you unterstand!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.

Reply to
Dave Gibson

I promise!

And thanks for the best laugh today :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Went to a B&Q today, theydidn't have a Bosch but they did have one of the look-alikes. It was the demo model and they said they couldn't sell it.

So we still haven't got one ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The Bosch AXT1600 is currently on offer at Focus for 160 quid but the offer ends tomorrow. Their normal price is claimed to be 200 quid.

Reply to
Mike Clarke