Shredded paper...

So, going on from the paper-recycling thread.... I have an ever growing store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was to mush&squash it into brick type things to burn but the general opinion of these brick/log makes seems to be far less than favourable. So do I just leave it in the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable bin on passing the tip or can I put them to a better use? (Not loft insulation as it's already up to full spec..)

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Got a garden? If so, mix it with the (non animal product) food waste and compost it.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

That's what our local authority does, we can put shredded paper and cardboard into the garden waste bins whose contents go to be composted.

Reply to
tinnews

We can put shreddings in with our paper for recycling - as long as they're contained in a bag, and not loose!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Some local authorities are obviously better than others. Here:

What Can Go In My Blue Wheelie Bin?

Newspapers Magazines Junk mail Catalogues Envelopes

Wrapping paper (no foil wrapping paper) All types of cardboard Telephone directories Yellow Pages Greetings cards Cardboard milk, juice and drink cartons.

I've just noticed, apparently real mail isn't allowed, only junk mail. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Not necessarily better. Our council (Nottinghamshire) tells us that shredded paper is OK in our recycling bins.

When I visited the sorting facility recently, we saw that an early stage of the process was a screen which removed all small "contamination" which then went straight to landfill. This would clearly pass any paper shreddings.

It is seen in this video where the actual process begins about

2/3 through.

I queried this, and they said that I was correct, but they felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I wonder at which point do the weigh the waste to determine how much is going to landfill and how much is being recycled? Just the general waste trucks or does the stuff from the recycling side that also goes to landfill get included?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice