showers/tiling again!

The source of the long sought leak has been identified: minute cracks in a section of grout!

Those with long memories may recall that this leak only occurred when one of the daughters visited and used the shower. We established that showering involved shaving the legs and usually emptied the header tank leading to air lock issues.

On the last visit, under direct questioning, it was also learned that she runs the pumped shower at full *throttle*! With the side panel removed and a strong jet of water directed at an area of tiling showing tiny cracks in the grout, water soon trickled out at the end of the upstand.

The shower is part way to being reassembled with shower board replacing the damaged area of tiling. Doing the whole job in shower board would be a major upheaval so my plan is to re-grout areas where there is any doubt.

However, the existing grouting is rock hard and not susceptible to the conventional grouting rakes I have. Is there another way? I have already discounted the angle grinder idea:-)

The other query is door seals. Googling gets 10^6 + 1 hits but so far, not the narrow T section I need. Someone in here recommended a supplier but I failed to take note at the time.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

For the grout, 4" angle grinder with thin diamond cutter.

Reply to
harryagain

In message , harryagain writes

Seriously?

It sounds like a recipe for a bathroom filled with dust! I suppose I could try my trusty 5" variable speed.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Multitool and circular carbide or diamond blade?

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you ever get the chance, buy one of these

or an equivalent, I believe Makita do one. I regard this as the best tool for working with plywood, floorboards, plywood, mdf or waterproof cement wall boards that I have ever owned. I used mine a few months ago to cut back a foot square of plaster on a wall by 10mm. It is superb and very, very controllable. It will do grout removal very easily and the depth of cut is adjustable. It will do tile cutting if you are desperate. It is also small enough to be manouverable.

Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

I'll try tonight. I only have the semi-circular carbide impregnated blade and failed to be impressed with the performance on plaster.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Capitol writes

Interesting.

A quick search kept finding Sears and dollar pricing.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Aldi had there own version of this a couple of weeks ago.

Reply to
Scott M

A carbide segment disc in a multitool will sort the grouting and without depositing all of it into the air!

See about half way down the table here:

John Rumm

Yes. One came with my tool kit. Tried this morning. Does the job but passing slow!

Multitool query. Does the tool head fully oscillate or wag from side to side? If so, there is no point moving the disc on the locating pins.

The grandchildren are with us so further noisy activities temporarily off the agenda:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yup on hard grout it won't be quick... but it does the job neatly enough and with controlled mess. How much do you need to rake out?

It rotates and counter rotates a couple of degrees or so generally. The only real need to move it on the head is to position it for easy work or to locate a fresh bit of blade.

Reply to
John Rumm

Press your finger on the blade while it's in use and find out :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm hoping not more than a metre or so. It really needs checking with a magnifying glass

Ah! Ta.

Going Saturday:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Worth mentioning, its not usually a good idea to grout "corners" or other joins where tiles meet building. I always silicone those gaps.

Reply to
John Rumm