Showers & Fans in Bathroom

Hi,
I have had a bath and a fan fitted in my bathroom, and would like a shower over the bath.
My builders tell me that you cannot have a shower head within a certain distance of a fan, or other electrical thing. However, they are not sure of the distance, and someone has told them 15ft, which is obviously wrong <g>
The fan will be around 6ft away horizontally, and 3ft above the shower head, if I can have one.
Anyone know the answer, or the location of the latest regs.?
--
Richard Faulkner

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:24:06 +0000, Richard Faulkner

Yes, because the Wiring Regulations use metres.

For bathrooms there is a system of zones.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.2.2A.htm
describes them.
Basically, if the ceiling is more than 3m high, then the fan would be outside zones.
For a ceiling between 2.25 and 3m high and Zone 3 applies in the space between these two heights for a distance horizontally to 0.6m from the edges of the bath.
For a ceiling less than 2.2m high, Zone 2 applies for the 0.6m from the edges of the bath and Zone 3 from there for a further 2.4m.
So for your scenario, I think that it will be Zone 3 or no zone.
In any case you can fit a fan that is stated to be suitable for bathroom use.
Another option is that you can fit a SELV (12v) fan anywhere apart from in the bath itself.......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

void? Even with a lowish ceiling, the actual fan is well beyond being accessible.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

If you mean an inline fan with ducting either side of it, then yes you can use a 230v fan with the grill directly above the bath/shower even if the ceiling is low. The installation will be outside zones.
-- Adam
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Spoilsport! :)
Regards, NT