Showers & Fans in Bathroom

Hi,

I have had a bath and a fan fitted in my bathroom, and would like a shower over the bath.

My builders tell me that you cannot have a shower head within a certain distance of a fan, or other electrical thing. However, they are not sure of the distance, and someone has told them 15ft, which is obviously wrong

The fan will be around 6ft away horizontally, and 3ft above the shower head, if I can have one.

Anyone know the answer, or the location of the latest regs.?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Yes, because the Wiring Regulations use metres.

For bathrooms there is a system of zones.

them.

Basically, if the ceiling is more than 3m high, then the fan would be outside zones.

For a ceiling between 2.25 and 3m high and Zone 3 applies in the space between these two heights for a distance horizontally to 0.6m from the edges of the bath.

For a ceiling less than 2.2m high, Zone 2 applies for the 0.6m from the edges of the bath and Zone 3 from there for a further 2.4m.

So for your scenario, I think that it will be Zone 3 or no zone.

In any case you can fit a fan that is stated to be suitable for bathroom use.

Another option is that you can fit a SELV (12v) fan anywhere apart from in the bath itself.......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Does this still apply if the fan is ducted and in the ceiling void? Even with a lowish ceiling, the actual fan is well beyond being accessible.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If you mean an inline fan with ducting either side of it, then yes you can use a 230v fan with the grill directly above the bath/shower even if the ceiling is low. The installation will be outside zones.

-- Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth