Shower :Wickes Aquapanel fitting

I`m replacing a shower enclosure and tiles built into a corner of a plasterboard stud wall ensuite

The previous enclosure + tiles looks as though they weren`t 100% waterproof so I`m contemplating fitting Wickes Aquapanels which are supposedly the waterproof method of doing it (They are also currently at a reduced price)

The shower is a hot+cold and not a mains electric so the pipework will be fitted through the new panel.

Any tips, advice or suggestions to using fitting these panels in order to make a waterproof job?

Any other alternative methods?

Thanks

Chas

Reply to
Restoredclassic

Chas, good stuff. Just stick to the makers instructions. Tiles can be put directly onto it.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I agree with Dr E (did I really just type that??). Aquapanel is the mutt's nuts for shower enclosures.

There's a Wickes 'how-to-do-it' leaflet available in store or on their website:

(I think you need to register for the link to work), also ISTR that the Knauf (ie the manufacturer) website has info about it too. Also google the archives of this newsgroup for "aquapanel" - it comes up regularly.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It is not waterproof, it is water-resistant. I.e. if it gets wet, it won't fall apart, but it is not a barrier to the water seeping through the wall. To get waterproof, you need to use wedi board or the equivalent, or ply/aquapanel/whatever with and tank it using somehting like BAL WP1. Having just done a big walk-in shower with wediboard, I think next time I would use the Wedi Fundo shower base, but just use ply on the walls and tank it. Wedi board is twice as expensive as ply, and then you need to buy a tanking kit anyway to seal the joins (they do their own tape, but at such a stupid price.

Or, carry on as you are, which is what any professional tiler would do. As long as you get a proper solid bed (you can buy special non-notched trowels for this apparently, they just have a "prong" at each end to set the depth of the bed) and use a waterproof adhesive then it should in theory be waterproof.

In terms of waterproofing the pipe penetrations, the fittings usually come with rubber gaskets to seal against the tiles, which you could supplement with silicone if you're feeling paranoid. Keep the controls out of direct spray and they'll be OK. For the outlet you can drill a fairly precise hole around the female iron coupler and seal the gap with silicone. The outlet that screws into that should have a gasket of some sort anyway.

Jake

Reply to
Bolted

Restoredclassic wrote :-

Good stuff, built a shower 2 yrs ago in the corner and built a stud wall, and used aquapanel instead of plaster board, very substantial and just tile straight on top (keep rough side as face)

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

is an alternative that i can recommend,used it for my shower enclosure walls,works well,it may be cheaper than aquapanel.size is 1500 x

900 x6 and 1200x 800x12
Reply to
Alex