Shower Water Pressure

I have an electric shower that is about 8 years old. It's been fine up until recently when every now and then the water pressure just drops off, the shower reduced itself to a dribble and the 'over temp' light comes on. We have tried this with the central heating on and off and made sure nothing else (dishwasher, washing machine) was on. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the problem but it ain't half annoying!
Can anyone suggest what the problem might be please? I think we are due a new shower anyway but I would like to rule out any tank or plumbing problems first.
TIA.
Andy.
snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com (Andy) wrote:

Sounds like scaled up heating element. Time for a new shower.