Shower waste, no return valve

ISTR this has cropped up before but G groups was unhelpful. Not in the Wiki either:-)

I am combining a shower waste with a basin waste for layout reasons. The basin waste will join through a *flowed* T but I believe a non-return valve will also be necessary. I can just about achieve the 18mm/m fall and currently plan a conventional water seal trap for the shower waste.

The options seem to be:-

HEPvO plastic in line tit.

McAlpine T28M-NRV

The only adverse comment on the HEPvO seems to be a concern about the use of a blockage clearing plunger.

So far, I have not found comment or operating principle for the McAlpine unit.

Any comments?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Have got three HepVO "traps". No problem with any of them over something like seven or eight years. Indeed a plunger might not be very effective with them - but the only issue we have had is long hair in bathroom basin. So make sure it is accessible - only takes a couple of minutes to unscrew, push/flush, re-fit.

Our bathroom basin one is vertical, directly under the waste, then the pipe goes round the room before flowing into other waste pipe. That was the only way it would fit and be fully accessible.

Our downstairs basin one is horizontal. But that can still be unscrewed easily.

The other one is on the bath. Horizontal. And would be a pain to unscrew

- but possible.

They would always be on my list in the future though final choice would depend on circumstances.

Reply to
polygonum

Why do you believe you need a NRV?

What would it achieve?

If you discharge a basin-full of water and have the taps running full- rate into the basin then if your pipework is arranged properly it should be able to take the water away to the drains without backing up to the shower waste and causing bubbling up through its trap. If it can't do that you've got your waste run wrong and an NRV is a bodge to get around it!

If there's a blockage downstream of the join between shower and basin wastes then an NRV will prevent the basin's waste backing up into the shower, but if you run the shower it'll fill up and overflow anyway, so no gain there!

(Just my 2e-2ukp-'orth)

Reply to
YAPH

Because I can easily fit one now but will find it difficult once the shower tray is nailed down.

I have only the bare 18mm/m fall and the shower has only 25mm of water trap.

Noted:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm not seeing any need either.