shower waste leak

I've just noticed that my 2 year old shower is leaking from the waste (proven not to be from elsewhere). I suspect the joints just need tigtening.The problem is, I cant access the waste now.

The tray sits on the chipboard floor. Its a long tray, and if I cut a hole in the floor ouside the shower, I wont be able to reach the joints to tighten them. I tried stretching my arms to no avail ;) To go in from the side looks impossible as the joists run paralell to the direction of the tray, and I wont be able to get to the trap through the joist.

Has anyone invented a sealer that can be poured down the waste and seal the leak? Radweld style?

Jc

Reply to
Jc

Is the shower up stairs or down stairs?

Reply to
Richard

It sounds like it's either remove the shower tray to repair the leak and replace damaged chipboard floor area if necessary, or if it is an upstairs shower, and there is access to the ceiling directly below, access it via that route. Which option will cause the less damage and disruption?

Phil

----

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Its upstairs. The ceiling route is the easiest to me, but my wife would prefer to knock holes in the outside wall b ehine and under the shower so as not to spoil the ceiling! Sigh!

Ta

Reply to
Jc

If the external wall is a cavity wall then it will be about 25cm (10 inches) thick. How far is the leaking plumbing from the inside wall? Will your arms be long enough to reach through a hole in the cavity wall to use any necessary tools at the site of the leak, assuming this could be a two-handed job? It's your house, but knocking a hole through an external wall to reach the plumbing from a shower tray sounds barmy to me!

Reply to
Phil Anthropist