shower trays

non return valve is definately the way forward as you never want any unwelcome visitors.

also have to consider the type of shower tray your getting as to thew feasability of plumbing it in. Ideally you would go for a low profile

40mm tray which would look great but you may need one with legs to accommodate the plumbing beneath it.
Reply to
Mark Hoppus

Well thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Lobster

Use a HepVo - minimal height and no return or 'visitors'.

PeterC

stink.

I've narrowed it down to the shower trap, which appears to be the source of the smell & has been found empty on occassion. Doesn't appear to be leaking anywhere, so I assumed it was being sucked dry by some kind of siponing.

The waste feeds into a soil pipe and there is an air admittance valve on that - which I've changed - but not solved the problem.

Do you reckon one of these HepVo's might sort it? Not come across them before.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

IME it'll take far more back-pressure than a wet trap - even a deep one - correctly intalled. There are some figures somewhere but I can't remember where I saw them.

Reply to
PeterC

Aha! The current trap is V shallow. When you say back presure.....?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, filling a v. deep U-trap (new one, before fitting!) - the adjustable sort - and blowing back through it sprayed water everywhere (in the garden, fortunately. I can exceed the top limit of a peak volume meter and was a bit over-enthusiastic with the trap). With the HepVo I couldn't blow back at all. Yes, there might be an issue with something in the sleeve preventing a perfect seal, but this could happen with any sort of vent and with a trap a thread or a couple of longish hairs will slowly drain the water out.

Hepworth's site is a nightmare to navigate, as most searches yield loads of pics. and logos, but if you go to

search for CV1, unticking all boxes except Literature and Building/Installation there are 4 PDFs. An interesting one is MMHPG for marine installations - the HepVo waste will work at an angle that would empty a wet trap - or fill it!

Reply to
PeterC