Shower Trays

I currently have a 800x800 shower tray in an alcove which is bigger, and it has been installed with tiles bridging the gap that = crap seal; and a sod to keep clean!

The alcove is 895 wide (wall-to-wall - e.g. with tiles removed).

Ideally, I want a 900 wide shower tray. But the only "decent" one I've found is 900 wide "inside" and 920 wide "outside".

I'm happy to dig out 20mm out of the walls to get it in - but obviously need to see internal dimensions to ensure it is possible.

But before I plan in detaul - any better ideas!?

Reply to
ryanjjones

Yes, you definitely want to lose the horizontal tiled section - if the shower ever leaks, you can bet it will be there...

Well that's a 920 mm tray, not a 900. You shouldn't have too much bother finding a 900, and that will fit fine in an 895 alcove if you do a bit of digging first.

If you really can't find a tray of the right size, the other route is to use a narrower tray (800mm?), then fit battens to the wall and attach Aquapanel board to that, effectively narrowing the alcove to suit the tray. Not so good as you waste precious space within the shower.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sorry, didn't spot that your existing tray's an 800mm one - so the above solution might be the better one as it would save you ripping out the old tray and having to buy/fit a new one?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks David - the old tray will be coming out. Its 15 years old and came with the house and is manky as pie. Basically room is being gutted.

Building a fake wall is an option I had not considered....

The tray I had in mind is

(900x760)

- but as you say the dimensions to not match up with the *actual* dimensions.

Thanks!

Reply to
ryanjjones

You can definitely get 900mm trays - I bought one about a year ago. It came from one of our local builders merchants. It's meant to be 900x700, and is pretty much exactly that.

One tip - get a tray with tiling upstands. This makes the whole sealing process much easier.

Reply to
Grunff

I've just been browsing on the site the OP provided, and found more details of the tray concerned:

looks quite impressive; I've never seen a stone resin tray with built-in adjustable feet before. I thought you always had to bugger around with embedding them in mortar and plinths to spread the load etc

- that's how I fitted mine and it took *ages*: and I see the mfr claims these things can be fitted by one guy in 20 minutes! Wow.

Is this a gimick or for real - what's the quality of these trays like? (I note they do have Grunff's upstands, which I'd agree is a very valuable feature. Ryan, do you know what they cost?

David

Reply to
Lobster

yep! Tiling upstands is top of the list ;)

Reply to
ryanjjones

I have no dealings with this supplier (yet) - but I am looking at them for (possible) supply of toilets/sinks/shower/ and shower tray.

This shower tray is

- and the price (inc VAT) is Coram Alcove Shower Tray 900 x 760 3 Upstands / 1 Panel =A3119.77

Glad you sound impressed with the spec!

As Grunff says, if 900mm trays are available with an external size of

900mm, then this may well be a route to go. However, it depends on how nicely this can be tiled over. (e.g. a 900mm tray in an 895 gap, *may* mean the tiles from the wall have to slope inward to get over the tile upstand (if tile upstand > 2.5mm wide) . Whereas a 920mm tray in a 895 gap may mean that the tile upstands are 10mm behind the wall, but teh tiles will sit flush.

Need to get better dimensions and have asked the supplier for some....

Reply to
ryanjjones