Shower Screen over bath

Hi all, I have just had a over bath shower fitted by my landlord, and wanted to fit a fixed shower screen at one end of the bath. A opening one seems to be a waste as there is no need, and I hoped a fixed one would be cheaper.

The cheapest at B&Q seems to be an opening one at "48.98 Model: 0000003691977

But I cant find a fixed one? Any thoughts please? Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

A shower curtain?

Reply to
S Viemeister

'orrid clingy things ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hi, yes I would rather not have a curtain, will just have to have the B&Q one if fixed ones are not available. Thanks. Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

just don't move the movable one ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I have never had a clinging problem - if the rail is very slightly to the outside of the bath edge then it will tend to fall toward the bath side. Most curtains have weights.

I would rather slip and hit a curtain than a screen. The also don't impose on the space when folded back.

However, my wife would like a screen!

Reply to
John

if Landlord agrees, get a sheet of toughened glass made up and some clips.

I was amazed to find that a self designed shower enclosure made up by a glaziers was half the price of the trendy shit in the bathroom showrooms.

And no more expensive than the cheap shonky stiff in the sheds, but infinitely better quality.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

CBA to look it up but, if you mean the concertina type opening ones they are horrible dirt, mould and scale traps.

The one piece glass screens that hinge at the wall are less so but are much easier to clean the shower side than a completely fixed one.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Depends on what room you have around the bath and how much you like soaking in the bath rather than a shower. If you like a good soak and a read, with a cup of tea to hand then the screen fixings can get in the way.

I puzzled as to how to stop the bathroom floor getting regularly flooded (by people taking showers - or so I thought...) for some time. As this was a curving corner bath unit with a doorway right next to it, there was not much scope for screens of any sort. Then I discovered that shower curtain rail comes in flexible varieties, and made a pleasing one following the line of the bath edge (though finding sound joists or similar in the ceiling for the screws can make it more work than expected.)

The shower curtain does not cling (those that do are too short or too light) and, unlike a fixed screen it can be handily tied back out of the way with an ordinary curtain tie when not in use. leaving room for cups of tea; reaching out for books, phones and so on.

Having made this very pleasing bathroom addition, I was puzzled to find bathroom still getting regularly flooded. Turned out it was SWMBO all along: the bath is fairly pointed oval within it's corner exterior, and when she gets out, she pushes backwards and shoves all the water out over the floor. Wasted my time entirely making the shower curtain, but it looks nice anyway.

Spamlet

Indeed! Moveable shower screens are a PITA. The seal along the base very quickly distorts and water leaks everywhere. Try to get replacement seals is like finding rocking horse droppings.

If you install a moveable on, silicon it on both side to make it a fixed one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman